Thoughts on 2019 Finals Week

4 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

If a corps deserves a most improved award, Phantom Regiment is in the running for it.

I don't understand this, and I have heard others say the same thing.

I love Phantom, but they started the season ranked around 12th and finished that way.  Their product was improved from June, but so was all the other corps.

+++

Great synopsis on each corps BTW.  You put a lot of thought and effort into your writings.  Thanks! 

Just now, wvu80 said:

I don't understand this, and I have heard others say the same thing.

I love Phantom, but they started the season ranked around 12th and finished that way.  Their product was improved from June, but so was all the other corps.

+++

Great synopsis on each corps BTW.  You put a lot of thought and effort into your writings.  Thanks! 

They started off the season at around 13th when they were getting beat by Spirit of Atlanta, and some other corps out west were scoring in a similar range.   When I saw that show in June I thought there was no way they’d ever get clean enough or make the show work enough to make it in.  Even though the show design still wasn’t what it should have been by finals, they cleaned the crap out of it more than I ever thought they would and made enough good changes to keep them VERY solidly in.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

They started off the season at around 13th when they were getting beat by Spirit of Atlanta, and some other corps out west were scoring in a similar range.

That's why I said they started the year "around 12."  I didn't want to nitpick 12th because we know all the early season shows are frameworks and as such are incomplete at that time. 

Let's take your 13th place assessment and start there.  I think they climbed to 11th, then settled in 12th easily making finals.  If we use placement as a criteria they never rose nor fell far from their eventual 12th place finish. Had they jumped a couple of corps into 10th I would consider that a marked improvement.  Otherwise, they basically finished where they started.

I don't think any of the corps rose or fell more than a placement from where they started the season.  All improved their shows by finals.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's why I said they started the year "around 12."  I didn't want to nitpick 12th because we know all the early season shows are frameworks and as such are incomplete at that time. 

Let's take your 13th place assessment and start there.  I think they climbed to 11th, then settled in 12th easily making finals.  If we use placement as a criteria they never rose nor fell far from their eventual 12th place finish. Had they jumped a couple of corps into 10th I would consider that a marked improvement.  Otherwise, they basically finished where they started.

I don't think any of the corps rose or fell more than a placement from where they started the season.  All improved their shows by finals.

Statistically yes, I was just most impressed by their improvement I guess in their actual performance levels.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Statistically yes, I was just most impressed by their improvement I guess in their actual performance levels.  

Good point. 

I never worry about early season performances because in June all the kids are just trying to remember what notes to play and figuring out where their dots are.  Drums are always "dirty" and lines are seldom straight.  No big deal, even the "big boys" are going through the same thing.

If I could go totally subjective I would say Cavaliers grabbed me the most.  That's because I'm not Cavie's biggest fan and yet their performance level drew me in.  Mid season I thought they were on a 6th place island, they couldn't catch anybody and nobody could catch them.  Cav's picked up the pace and finished in 5th, no small feat this season.

I could also make an argument for Cadet's improvement.  I saw them early in June and frankly I didn't think that social justice warrior show would even make finals it was so cringe worthy.  To their credit Cadets polished the turd so to speak and their 5th place drum line lead them into 9th place overall.  What a talented group of performers.

I’m always heartened by your outlook, and finding the best in everyone’s shows. The thousands of young men and women in the activity deserve our gratitude. Thank you , @DrumManTx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1