Spirit of Atlanta 2020

They've at least been in the conversation for finals for the past two years. What can they do to get over that hump? As was stated elsewhere, their relative success of the past two years should definitely help with recruiting.   

• Like 3

When the season started, I thought they were a lock for finals. Then PR addressed their issues and improved way more than I thought they would. With that being said, I think it cmes down to choosing a show concept that has more room for growth during the season and having a plan to address it as the season goes along. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see any significant changes in the show as the season went along. It was a finals worthy show but PR seemed to work harder and do the necessary rewrites and changes to get their end product where it was for the judges to buy into it.

I know I'm just a grumpy old man now, but I would LOVE to see them go back to their roots and do Southern Jazz again........not a throwback show but maybe some hints of the Georgia Fanfare......I remember in 87 we placed extremely well early in the season, but in the final stretch other corps added visual effects and tweaked things and Spirit got leap frogged in the home stretch. Easier drill also lends to higher scores early in the summer, with some corps not really mastering their show till the second half. I am hopeful again for next year. I long to see them in the top 8 again soon.......the 80s were my active years and Spirit and Devils 81-86 are my favorite shows ever. Maybe the 007 Velvet Knights too 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KennyB said:

I know I'm just a grumpy old man now, but I would LOVE to see them go back to their roots and do Southern Jazz again........not a throwback show but maybe some hints of the Georgia Fanfare......I remember in 87 we placed extremely well early in the season, but in the final stretch other corps added visual effects and tweaked things and Spirit got leap frogged in the home stretch. Easier drill also lends to higher scores early in the summer, with some corps not really mastering their show till the second half. I am hopeful again for next year. I long to see them in the top 8 again soon.......the 80s were my active years and Spirit and Devils 81-86 are my favorite shows ever. Maybe the 007 Velvet Knights too 😉

I’ll go one. Further. I wish they would become a southern jazz corps. They need an identity, as does every group, and what they did this year, while interesting and challenging, Felt sloppy and not very focused. I don’t think 2019 is the direction for success.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I’ll go one. Further. I wish they would become a southern jazz corps. They need an identity, as does every group, and what they did this year, while interesting and challenging, Felt sloppy and not very focused. I don’t think 2019 is the direction for success.

I totally disagree.  Spirit did this already and it didn't quite work as folks wished. After placing 11th in 2013, they changed direction with "Magnolia" in 2014, placing 17th.  "Georgia" in 2016 placed 21st.

They are making their way back to Finals. Let them find their own way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I totally disagree.  Spirit did this already and it didn't quite work as folks wished. After placing 11th in 2013, they changed direction with "Magnolia" in 2014, placing 17th.  "Georgia" in 2016 placed 21st.

They are making their way back to Finals. Let them find their own way.

Too much goo for me.

• Like 1