Spirit of Atlanta 2020

Spirit has been undergoing one of the best reinventions in DCI the past couple years. Their shows shout Spirit without falling back on what made them great in the past. They’re still producing shows with that old Spirit swagger that are fun for the members to perform. Best of all they are remaining relevant. Keep on the same path! 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Too much goo for me.

I understand. No problem. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, gbass598 said:

When the season started, I thought they were a lock for finals. Then PR addressed their issues and improved way more than I thought they would. With that being said, I think it cmes down to choosing a show concept that has more room for growth during the season and having a plan to address it as the season goes along. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see any significant changes in the show as the season went along. It was a finals worthy show but PR seemed to work harder and do the necessary rewrites and changes to get their end product where it was for the judges to buy into it.

And there it is. I said it mid-season. The deciding factor in a bottom 3rd show is going to be how much room you have to maximize the score. When I marched (and I'm sure most who marched would agree,) it was about peaking at the right time. But you can't focus on peaking when you're just trying to tweak and fix minor things you're getting feedback on just to make it to finals. If I have .75 points of growing room and you've got .50 points of growing room....well...the story speaks for itself. 

And don't get wrong...I LOVE SOA. I want them back solidly in top 12. I was actually trying to volunteer for them this past summer but they have a tendency to not respond back to their volunteer forms the last few years it seems.  

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

In order to get some judging benefit of doubt to jump a current finalist, they'll have to program and teach a solid 10th place show, and recruit the talent who can carry it off. 10th will get you 12th, if you're a newbie or trying to regain Finalist status - and even in this case, they'll have to hope that Regiment has another down year or that Mandarins have the same type of programming missteps Academy had following their Finals year.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Slingerland said:

In order to get some judging benefit of doubt to jump a current finalist, they'll have to program and teach a solid 10th place show, and recruit the talent who can carry it off. 10th will get you 12th, if you're a newbie or trying to regain Finalist status - and even in this case, they'll have to hope that Regiment has another down year or that Mandarins have the same type of programming missteps Academy had following their Finals year.

I would agree. The competition is getting tighter and tighter and the visual component is meaning more and more. I think SOA is on the right track. The thing about DCI is that if you fall out of the top 12 for too long, you begin to lose staff as well as returning membership. Those corps who fall out tend to fold unless they have some pretty serious support by the way of donations from alumni (SOA and Madison are good examples.) I just wonder sometimes if DCI is truly a model that can help corps sustain long term. 

• 7 months later...

Miss March Madness? You're in luck! SOA has a bracket challenge to pick the best photos over the years. There are two polls starting today. Here's a link to the first. You should be able to find the other on their timeline.

Be safe out there!

On 8/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, MikeRapp said:

I’ll go one. Further. I wish they would become a southern jazz corps. They need an identity, as does every group, and what they did this year, while interesting and challenging, Felt sloppy and not very focused. I don’t think 2019 is the direction for success.

Please elaborate and identify the musical "identity" of ANY current corps?

3 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Please elaborate and identify the musical "identity" of ANY current corps?

Blue Devils - Bright and piercing

Crown - Lush and sonorous

Phantom Regiment - Rich (hopefully getting back to that)

Those are just three corps I could identify while blindfolded. 

On 3/23/2020 at 6:08 PM, Brian Tuma said:

Blue Devils - Bright and piercing

Crown - Lush and sonorous

Phantom Regiment - Rich (hopefully getting back to that)

Those are just three corps I could identify while blindfolded. 

None of these seem comparable to "Southern Jazz".   Just saying. 

7 hours ago, TwoValves said:

None of these seem comparable to "Southern Jazz".   Just saying. 

Oh, I thought you were looking for examples of musical identity and I used examples of distinctive musical sound rather than repertoire. What exactly is “Southern Jazz”? Is that a recognized genre? Examples outside our niche activity?