2019 Predictions -- Revisited

Looking back at all (or most) of the 2019 predictions, in order, with no identifications to protect the innocent (or guilty).  All were from before September, 2018

1. BD 
2. Bluecoats
3. SCV
4. Cavies
5. Crown
6. Boston
1. I wouldn’t bet against svc repeating!
2. The Cadets and Boston will be pushing up to the medal fight (or closer to it) with smart designs and huge momentum.
3. Madison gets back to basics and returns to finals. 
4. Cavies won’t use tripping tarps again, preventing falls and injuries 
5. We will see less X-large props being used 
Boston will medal.
•    
BD continues their streak of having an undefeated season the season after coming in 2nd place
•    

Matt Harloff won't let another Ott slip away. 

•    Cadets will have a better drill writer
•    Cavies will back of the cheese and props
•    BD will have a chip on their shoulder
•    Coats find a way to bring Olivia back
•    SCV blows our minds even more
•    Crown revamps their entire visual program
•    Boston will contend for a medal

BOLD PREDICTIONS
SCV and BD will finish 2nd and 3rd (or 3rd and 2nd)
Blue Stars, Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment will drop in placement
Cadets, Mandarins and Crossmen will rise in placement
Madison Scouts will finish lower (I write that with a heavy heart)
1 World Class corps will go inactive for 2019
SCV and BD will be 1-2 again.
Boston will make a push for 3rd.
Mandarins will rise even further.
Regiment falls out of finals.
Spirit is back in finals.

I predict that SCV, BD, Bluecoats, and Crown will be really really good and likely still top 4. Boston, Cavaliers, Cadets, Stars, and Knights will be gunning for one of those top 4 or 5 slots.

1. BD
2. Bluecoats
3. Boston
4. Crown
5. SCV
6. Cadets

I think SCV will medal again, BD, and I think Crown and BAC will be contending for 3rd.
Cavs, Cadets and Bluecoats battling for 5-7th and it will be close early until Cavs pull away, but Blue Stars will be a dark horse to upset the one who falls behind.
BD
SCV
Crown
BAC
Cavs
Bluecoats
BK will continue their downward step trend and scores in 10th place next year

1. Bloo
2. SCV
3. BAC
4. BD
5. Crown
6. Cadets

Top four will remain the same. Order will likely be different.
I love Bluecoats, but it’s hard to pick them to win gold because you never have any idea what they are going to do.
I think Crown will medal, two years of controversy and relative frustration will resolve itself next season. They will have a show that suits their mandatories, and a concept that makes sense.
No one should pick BD out of the medals, if only because they can outrecruit anyone in the off-season and they have the most accomplished Creative staff.
After that I think it will be Bluecoats and SCV. I won’t be surprised to see any of those four win the gold medal. It will all come down to who has the best show concept and how effectively the corps can execute the finer points in the last two weeks of the season.
I see no reason to not pick Boston to challenge for a medal next year. They certainly have the instructional and design staff to do it, and no way those kids are leaving for greener pastures.
Cadets get a new drill writer, brass staff, and program designer and finish in the top 5

Top Tier
1. Blue Devils - The pattern dictates a BD win.
2. Bluecoats - Another hit.
3. Santa Clara Vanguard - They'll drop like we often see, but it won't be too far down.

Tier 2
4. Boston Crusaders - Came in 6th in '17 fighting 6/7, came in 5th in '18 fighting 5/6, so maybe fighting 4/5 will earn them 4th.
5. Carolina Crown - Will still have the Music caption edge but not quite as large.
Tier 3
6. Cadets - Design will be more concrete, and more talent will come.
7. Cavaliers - Back and forth with Cadets.
Tier 4
8. Blue Knights - Hoping they re-evaluate their visual program. If not then they could go as low as 10.
9. Blue Stars
10. Mandarins - I'm expecting more talent to come. 
Tier 5
11. Spirit
12. Crossmen
13. Phantom Regiment

Ok, I will take the bait....
1. BD
2. Crown
3. Bluecoats 
4. SCV
5. Cadets
6. BAC
My way too early prediction.  Top 5
BD
SCV
BAC
Crown
Bloo

1. Santa Clara Vanguard
2. Blue Devils
3. Bluecoats
4. Boston Crusaders
5. Carolina Crown
6. Cadets

1. Santa Clara Vanguard
2. Blue Devils
3. Bluecoats
4. Boston Crusaders
5. Carolina Crown
6. Cadets

I know nothing, but...

1) Bloo
2) BD
3) SCV
4) BAC
5) Crown
6) Cadets

2019:
BD wins, Boston contends for a medal.
Beyond that it's all up in the air.
•    
•    1. Santa Clara Vanguard
•    2. Bluecoats 
•    3. Blue Devils
•    4. Boston Crusaders
•    5. Carolina Crown
•    6. Cadets
•    
Predictions for 2019
1. either: Blue Devils/Crown/Bluecoats/Santa Clara Vanguard/Boston Crusaders  
2. either: Blue Devils/Crown/Bluecoats/Santa Clara Vanguard/Boston Crusaders
3. either: Blue Devils/Crown/Bluecoats/Santa Clara Vanguard/Boston Crusaders
4. either: Blue Devils/Crown/Bluecoats/Santa Clara Vanguard/Boston Crusaders
5. Cadets/Cavaliers - if no one falls down
6. Cadets/Cavaliers - no tarps this season
•    
•    Blue Devils will be back on top, with a show that silences even BD naysayers (like myself... sometimes) 
•    Boston will be a crowd favorite and be in contention for Bronze 
•    Bluecoats won't medal but will still be in good shape for future years. 
•    Mandarins will retain Finalist status but will have to scrape by to do so. 
•    Crown, Cavaliers, and Cadets will be close in contention for the Top 6. (SCV will certainly have a spot in it). I think Cavaliers will fall out possibly. 
•    The contenders for the Top 6 will be Blue Devils, SCV, Boston Crusaders, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown, Cavaliers. 

There will be an East coast medal sweep:
1. Boston
2. Cadets
3. Crown
BD typically goes undefeated the season after a 2nd place finish.
That being said no one (except BD) has steamrolled the competition since Cadets in 2005 than SCV this year and I would argue Vanguard did it in a more stacked field.
SCV took overall visual performance even with placing behind Boston and BD...we all know how much caption creep there is with guard.
SCV took overall music performance when Crown’s brass was as strong as ever and they had their best percussion section of the last 10 years.
It is easy to think that Vanguard has reset the balance of power in DCI...especially with winning their first Ott trophy in 30+ years.  Yes BD was young this year but suddenly there are many more attractive options...
Vanguard and Coats are obvious 
BAC needs another year or two of maturity in their programming and are solid across the board 
Cavies over programmed this year but are very solid in all captions
 Cadets will surge sooner than people think if the rumors are true 
Crown...at the top musically but visually rough this year...don’t think it will get any easier next year
Let's take a shot for fun...
1) BD
2) Bluecoats
3) Boston
4) Crown
5) SCV
6) Cadets

1 – Vanguard – SCV has built a staff, paralleled only by BD.  This year, they won their 1st Ott since 1984, and percussion with ~52 age outs from ’17.  They didn’t show up in the top 3 overnight.  Their 17-18 placements were not flukes, they were the logical progression of a staff that not only gells at a very high level but understands how to field a superior product, recruit talent and teach excellence.  Unless they have a major change on staff, expect SCV to dominate DCI, win multiple championships and stay at/near the top.  
2 – Blue Devils – ITS BD! They will build a killer program but it won’t be enough to catch SCV.  The competition between SCV and BD will be legendary and will make DCI all the more exciting.  BD could also “win undefeated after a 2nd place” once again.  Will be fun to see.
3 – Crown – Crown will challenge for Brass and Percussion which will help them get them past Bloo and hold off Boston, but issues with visual will hold them back and continue to cause GE shortfalls.
4 – Boston – Boston is for real.  Their 17 and 18 programs were amazing and very well performed.  A great show design and a little more talent, could put them in to 3rd or 2nd. 
5 – Bluecoats – Honestly Bloo has very few performance weaknesses, show design will decide whether they get 4th or 5th as Boston continues to surge. 
6 – Cadets – Cadets will be challenged recruiting talent, other than that show designed just won’t be a issue.  Don’t be surprised if they push Bloo down a place and take 5th. 

8 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I think it was more wishful thinking and history. But they are not the Cadets of old anymore. Even their style is gone. 

They are EXACTLY the corps of old. They survived this past year as The Cadets have survived and thrived many up and down times. They ARE the Cadets of the 85 history, maybe more.

In every aspect! Style has nothing to do with who they are which I think goes for every corps with a rich history.

Edited by GUARDLING

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

They are EXACTLY the corps of old. They survived this past year as The Cadets have survived and thrived many up and down times. They ARE the Cadets of the 85 history, maybe more.

In every aspect! Style has nothing to do with who they are which I think goes for every corps with a rich history.

Ok...if you say so :)   But to me their are NoT!!!!!!

So, I’ve got a funny about predictions for you. I was watching a video of the BD pre-season camp performance in the park with my high school kid (mellophone, trumpet and marimba interchangeably - cool kid). 

Anyway, he asked me what the title of their show was. I had no idea, so I said it’s either “Kincking Everybody’s A**”, or “We Win Two Out Of Every Three Years, And We Didn’t Win Last Year”. Not a bad prediction, or a risky prediction for that matter. 

As as for me, I’m no BD homer - I sort of always preferred the Cadets in the 90s and the Cavies in the 2000s, and BD were the chief competitor. But holy cow, I have loved these last two shows in particular. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It appears at first glance the Corps people were most-incorrect about was Cadets

Ehh I think a lot were wrong about Boston 

lots of predictions of top 3 or even winning 

cadets predictions ranged from sixth to ninth, mostly sixth I think incorrectly assuming the design would improve and it did not 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Ehh I think a lot were wrong about Boston 

lots of predictions of top 3 or even winning 

cadets predictions ranged from sixth to ninth, mostly sixth I think incorrectly assuming the design would improve and it did not 

Oh yes absolutely wrong about Boston.  Had anticipated Boston would be tier one. They will continue to be in the conversation unless there is some staff departures. 

Cadets have a lot to figure out. 

Edited by Poppycock

12 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

People underestimated Bloo. 

Cavaliers too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1