Field Judge Rule Discussion One Season In

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I understand the concerns about member safety. I agree that the safety of the members is a priority. However, the field judges have been roaming the field for god knows how many decades now. Has there even been one reported collision in that time? If there was, what were the consequences of it?

It happened fairly frequently. I blindly ran into a judge my first year while back marching. I marched 3 years and I feel like there were at least one or two judge collisions each year just in the corps I was in.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, garfield said:

This is a mere safety zone for judges who don't have Prosperie's experience.  It wasn't meant to be hard and fast.  The hand-wringing about him "violating" his space is completely misplaced.  Prosperie is perfectly comfy judging around an entire field.  A newer judge (which DCI is dying for) can stay close to the sideline and not risk himself or the MMs.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I will start my $.02 with I found the programming to mostly bring the battery down front so the judge can see.  That is great for drum guys/gals like me but it also does, in fact, limit design creativity when it's required.

Sometimes you just can't keep Clowns in the Car. They get out and creep out and scare the poor kids, creepy clowns / scary clowns. :lol:

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

This rule came to light because of one chronic abuser of common sense and situational awareness 

tenor.gif?itemid=11136032

1 hour ago, E3D said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11136032

like breaker, form wrecker....the list goes on

22 hours ago, dbc03 said:

It happened fairly frequently. I blindly ran into a judge my first year while back marching. I marched 3 years and I feel like there were at least one or two judge collisions each year just in the corps I was in.

Yep.   It's not like there's some sort of accurate reporting mechanism.   Anecdotal evidence seems to support your experience.  They were FAR more common then some claim here.  

55 minutes ago, karuna said:

Yep.   It's not like there's some sort of accurate reporting mechanism.   Anecdotal evidence seems to support your experience.  They were FAR more common then some claim here.  

"More common" may be true, but is it pertinent?  Do the math.

Field judges interact with thousands of kids per performance, times the number of shows he judges, times the number of judges and times the number of shows they judge, divided by the number of collisions.

Is "more common" in your parlance twice, or three times what some say here?  Ten times more often?  How many is that, 10 per season across all marching arts?  100 per season?

Again, "more common" might correct some understatements here but, in the big picture, collisions are extremely rare and your correction shouldn't elevate the level of action or concern needed or taken.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, garfield said:

A newer judge (which DCI is dying for) can stay close to the sideline and not risk himself or the MMs.

And then get lambasted for weaker quality reads and then sent packing. It's a vicious no-win cycle from the looks of it. DCI would like younger people but there's large potential for eating their young.

Figure even if someone starts at 21, the rule of thumb is 5-6 years of successful HS judging to get really comfortable with moving around, verbiage, and numbers management. Puts them to 27. Then maybe some demonstration of skills at some higher level than a large band circuit to get noticed by the right patron. Figure a couple of seasons... the youngest person DCI would likely 'discover' would be around 30 unless someone with great potential would skyrocket out of WGI somehow.. Just my thoughts and observations. Most of that young talent also would rather staff someone somewhere else and thus have other commitments.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

"More common" may be true, but is it pertinent?  Do the math.

Field judges interact with thousands of kids per performance, times the number of shows he judges, times the number of judges and times the number of shows they judge, divided by the number of collisions.

Is "more common" in your parlance twice, or three times what some say here?  Ten times more often?  How many is that, 10 per season across all marching arts?  100 per season?

Again, "more common" might correct some understatements here but, in the big picture, collisions are extremely rare and your correction shouldn't elevate the level of action or concern needed or taken.

What’s the acceptable rate of judge-induced collisions?  Man the heads-in-the-sand among some percussionists is incredible.  Have you taught at any level in the past 10 years.  It’s dangerous out there — even for staff that know the show FAR better than any judge.  No point in rehashing the point:  judges should never be putting performers at risk— at all — ever.  

Edited by karuna

19 minutes ago, karuna said:

What’s the acceptable rate of judge-induced collisions?  Man the heads-in-the-sand among some percussionists is incredible.  Have you taught at any level in them past 10 years.  It’s dangerous out there — even for staff that know the show FAR better than any judge.  No point in rehashing the point:  judges should never be putting performers at risk— at all — ever.  

By that logic, the staff of every corps is putting their members at risk by performing high velocity drill (like Crown) or using tall props for members to perform acrobatics and dances on (every other corps). Why should we allow that?