Field Judge Rule Discussion One Season In

Just now, Cappybara said:

By that logic, the staff of every corps is putting their members at risk by performing high velocity drill (like Crown) or using tall props for members to perform acrobatics and dances on (every other corps). Why should we allow that? 

There’s a huge difference between a performer undertaking a risk and an adjudicator putting a performer at risk.  If you can’t see that we have little to discuss.  

8 minutes ago, karuna said:

There’s a huge difference between a performer undertaking a risk and an adjudicator putting a performer at risk.  If you can’t see that we have little to discuss.  

The risk is still all the same, not sure why we're splitting hairs. The end result would be the same, would it not? 

40 minutes ago, karuna said:

What’s the acceptable rate of judge-induced collisions?  Man the heads-in-the-sand among some percussionists is incredible.  Have you taught at any level in the past 10 years.  It’s dangerous out there — even for staff that know the show FAR better than any judge.  No point in rehashing the point:  judges should never be putting performers at risk— at all — ever.  

I think the point is well taken. Given my background at UPS, some involving work on the safety committee... there's a goal there of x lost time accidents per hours worked. They would like  it to be zero... unfortunately, I think the insurance company and the company set a number for 'acceptable losses' and given the body of inexperience and sometimes cavalier attitudes of the new employees and the wearing out of the older experienced people where parts of us just break and wear out... it's not easy regardless of the training, and it's fairly thorough. I don't think DCI, the corps, their Adjudicators, or their insurers would think there would be any acceptable loss number here above zero. I would find that more than a bit disturbing if they did.

I would believe at this point that any adjudicator worth their salt should also be assessing risk on-field and if there is any, it would be best to back off and position one's self conservatively. No one wants to hurt anyone on the field. That I know is a given. 

Edited by BigW

17 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think the point is well taken. Given my background at UPS, some involving work on the safety committee... there's a goal there of x lost time accidents per hours worked. They would like  it to be zero... unfortunately, I think the insurance company and the company set a number for 'acceptable losses' and given the body of inexperience and sometimes cavalier attitudes of the new employees and the wearing out of the older experienced people where parts of us just break and wear out... it's not easy regardless of the training, and it's fairly thorough. I don't think DCI, the corps, their Adjudicators, or their insurers would think there would be any acceptable loss number here above zero. I would find that more than a bit disturbing if they did.

I would believe at this point that any adjudicator worth their salt should also be assessing risk on-field and if there is any, it would be best to back off and position one's self conservatively. No one wants to hurt anyone on the field. That I know is a given. 

I wonder how much the risk is nowadays compared to back in the day now that high velocity drill (or drill at all) isnt as commonplace 

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Heavily loaded question, then why are they still there? 

you judge a field sheet from the middle of a domed stadium...lemme know how that works out.

3 hours ago, karuna said:

What’s the acceptable rate of judge-induced collisions?  Man the heads-in-the-sand among some percussionists is incredible.  Have you taught at any level in the past 10 years.  It’s dangerous out there — even for staff that know the show FAR better than any judge.  No point in rehashing the point:  judges should never be putting performers at risk— at all — ever.  

i'll listen when the props used today stop causing performer injuries...and they do.

57 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Did the percussion arranging change?

i think so in some ways....when they were up front more, you got more beef.

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I wonder how much the risk is nowadays compared to back in the day now that high velocity drill (or drill at all) isnt as commonplace 

Depends on circumstance. They still will fill a void with guard very quickly, and if someone thinks a clear space on the field will stay clear for more than 5 seconds... it could end in a bad way. Guard swarms are likely the most dangerous thing right now. They love to run from multiple angles.

Sometimes, quick drill can be easily readable. or, the second one sees the velocity increase, you get away from it. If you're on the field and not constantly computing escape routes regardless...