Prosperie and Finals

1 hour ago, RickCogley said:

I strongly disagree with Prosperie's finals percussion judgement, and it made me lose respect for a judge I had respected. SCV percussion played more, for a greater portion of their show, and were clearly dominant at every show this year. Their front ensemble alone had some jaw-droppingly hard parts, and should have been way up for that reason alone. Finals was a stellar run from SCV too, and second in drums was an insult. It makes me question what his motivation was, since here we are, all talking about Prosperie, and not how absolutely great SCV percussion was.

The ump made a bad call on the last play.

Says you....and you are allowed to say that!  I'll be sticking with Jeff on this call though because he was there and his extensive capacities to actually make that call are beyond question IMHO.  Personally I had Bloo in 3-4 place easy compared to what else was on the field that night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RickCogley said:

I strongly disagree with Prosperie's finals percussion judgement, and it made me lose respect for a judge I had respected. SCV percussion played more, for a greater portion of their show, and were clearly dominant at every show this year. Their front ensemble alone had some jaw-droppingly hard parts, and should have been way up for that reason alone. Finals was a stellar run from SCV too, and second in drums was an insult. It makes me question what his motivation was, since here we are, all talking about Prosperie, and not how absolutely great SCV percussion was.

The ump made a bad call on the last play.

If length of time playing was the criteria for the music captions, then certain corps in the top 3 wouldn't be even close to the top in brass. 

And for what it's worth, he did score SCV's rep above BD's, he just had BD performing better than SCV for that night. 

Being frank, unless you were on the field waving hello to Prosperie as you watched and listened to each line play, your opinion on the right or wrong call is next to worthless (and probably wrong)

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

If length of time playing was the criteria for the music captions, then certain corps in the top 3 wouldn't be even close to the top in brass. 

And for what it's worth, he did score SCV's rep above BD's, he just had BD performing better than SCV for that night. 

Being frank, unless you were on the field waving hello to Prosperie as you watched and listened to each line play, your opinion on the right or wrong call is next to worthless (and probably wrong)

FTW

• Like 1

I find humor in the fact that people say things like "Jeff is the best judge ever". I guess being the best judge out there makes you infallible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, InspaDave said:

I find humor in the fact that people say things like "Jeff is the best judge ever". I guess being the best judge out there makes you infallible.

Not infallible...but it seems that given that he's better at judging than we are, and he was actually in a position to judge (unlike us), he might have a better read than we do and should be given the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

As I recall, Flo didn't have a camera "locked" on the Battery/Pit the entire performance.  How does someone watching from home know what happened in the Battery/Pit  well enough to know which line won?

I also don't believe that anyone in the stands watching live has been gifted with "eagle eyes" so precise that they can see every contact of the battery/pit or hear it better than those on the field.

I'm not a percussionist, so maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RickCogley said:

This particular year, yeah. I don't post all that much, but this situation compelled me to say something. Anyway, I got it off my chest. Time to let it go.

And you are qualified to say this because you have an equal amount of musical knowledge and experience as JP?  Yeah, thought not.  😉

It's all good.  Personally I think SCV's pit has put them over the top on more than one occasion.  Just as Rennick's pit (or his wife's) did in 2010.  Battery wise.....there are harder books out there.  Clean, absolutely, but content.....meh.  Go listen to Cadets 2016 or even Boston's battery this year.  I would put either of those over SCV, yet SCV took the Sanford.  So it's pit+battery, not just one or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not Frank but I will give it a "shot".

Listening to the shows for the top 4 - I believe he got the performance scores correct.

But telling someone else who is a member here at DCP:  their opinion is worthless and probably wrong is pretty naive, when it comes to peeps posting on a message board. 

Edited by E3D