Prosperie and Finals

21 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Jeff Prosperie is one of the most honest, high-integrity judges DCI has, in any caption. If he gives you a good score, you earned it. If he has you behind other corps, they earned it more. Doesn't matter what the corps names and uniforms are.

And this is the first time JP has had the Blue Devils 1st in percussion during Championships week in a decade.

Did he put BD 1st in percussion at 2017 Finals? No.

2016 Finals? No.

2015 Finals? No.

2014 Prelims? No.

2011 Finals? No.

2009 Finals? ...Yes. But then, EVERY percussion judge at EVERY show had Blue Devils 1st in percussion. They went undefeated in the caption that year.

You stopped short of 2008, where he had Phantom at 19.8 and BD at 19.0.

2 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Completely deserved, too.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

source.gif

It's okay bud, one day you'll reach em

Don't get me wrong -- I don't actually care who wins marching band shows. I just don't understand judging. I've never been able to get anyone to succinctly explain what "General Effect" actually is, so I posit that no one actually knows.

I do think that having performance exceed rep is not something that should logically be possible, but again -- just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

2 words

Paul Rennick

• Like 1

Just go and listen to any of JP's tapes.  His musical knowledge and acumen is in a different stratosphere.   He can pick out the 4th inner beat of measure 5 in a 12 measure passage.  His ear is unreal.

Anyway, total jealously of his skills aside (answering EXITMUSIC's question) the actual number a judge puts down is of course completely subjective.  It's not like the judges remember exactly what they saw back in minute 3 of a 12 minute show, but it's an overall impression of a performance at the end.  

General effect is one of the most vague categories IMO since it doesn't look at just one thing.  It's basically if the whole production "works" according to the requirements on the sheets.  That has little, if nothing to do with what we as fans think of the "effectiveness" of a show.  Most of the time we are just left to guess.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Phantom1701 said:

Just go and listen to any of JP's tapes.  His musical knowledge and acumen is in a different stratosphere.   He can pick out the 4th inner beat of measure 5 in a 12 measure passage.  His ear is unreal.

Anyway, total jealously of his skills aside (answering EXITMUSIC's question) the actual number a judge puts down is of course completely subjective.  It's not like the judges remember exactly what they saw back in minute 3 of a 12 minute show, but it's an overall impression of a performance at the end.  

General effect is one of the most vague categories IMO since it doesn't look at just one thing.  It's basically if the whole production "works" according to the requirements on the sheets.  That has little, if nothing to do with what we as fans think of the "effectiveness" of a show.  Most of the time we are just left to guess.

Most often when I see someone described as the best ever, I am skeptical. This is the first description of Prosperie that I have seen articulated so well that I now have gained a better understanding of him as an adjudicator. I had wondered what makes him “the best”. Now I know and can    assume this is the consensus of his fan club.

4 hours ago, Phantom1701 said:

Can you give us some links or location of these tapes. I mean are you just listening to the posted youtube'sss or more specifically a few that you can point to the stratosphere. 

Edited by E3D

'beautiful eighth notes in the tenors. Metric shifts in the flams. Clean adult mature eighth notes."

"beautifully written , idiomatically written fits the styles and the textures."  WHATCH OUT AXE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"thank you base drums appropriate and mature" "clean digggggidegadat." 

Ok I got it now thanks. :peek:

Edited by E3D
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

Just noticed his son was 2nd in snare at the Performers Showcase. 

Huh. And Youtube just recommended to me the winning performance in that same category by Brandon Olander, probably one of the very few corps members whose name is known to a significant portion of the audience.

• Like 2