Prosperie and Finals

5 hours ago, Phantom1701 said:

Just go and listen to any of JP's tapes.  His musical knowledge and acumen is in a different stratosphere.   He can pick out the 4th inner beat of measure 5 in a 12 measure passage.  His ear is unreal.

Anyway, total jealously of his skills aside (answering EXITMUSIC's question) the actual number a judge puts down is of course completely subjective.  It's not like the judges remember exactly what they saw back in minute 3 of a 12 minute show, but it's an overall impression of a performance at the end.  

General effect is one of the most vague categories IMO since it doesn't look at just one thing.  It's basically if the whole production "works" according to the requirements on the sheets.  That has little, if nothing to do with what we as fans think of the "effectiveness" of a show.  Most of the time we are just left to guess.

I love listening to his tape of 2013 Cadets finals night. Prosperie is the man!!!! 

• Like 4

He is a great judge, but lets get real, he's no Doyle Gammill. 

Edited by BlueByYou2000

8 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Don't get me wrong -- I don't actually care who wins marching band shows. I just don't understand judging. I've never been able to get anyone to succinctly explain what "General Effect" actually is, so I posit that no one actually knows.

Oh, that is easy to define. It is the Effect that is General in nature.....

You are very welcome

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, Jeff Ream said:

they exceeded the book with the performance thats how

Happens quite often. Sometimes they have time to beef up the book (and even planned on it) and sometimes they just have to live with it. 

29 minutes ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

He is a great judge, but lets get real, he's no Doyle Gammill. 

God rest his soul, that was both awesome and horrible at the same time!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Most often when I see someone described as the best ever, I am skeptical. This is the first description of Prosperie that I have seen articulated so well that I now have gained a better understanding of him as an adjudicator. I had wondered what makes him “the best”. Now I know and can    assume this is the consensus of his fan club.

he's one of the best in the business and has been for a long time. several of his tapes are on Youtube...go listen. captivating

• Like 2

2 hours ago, E3D said:

'beautiful eighth notes in the tenors. Metric shifts in the flams. Clean adult mature eighth notes."

"beautifully written , idiomatically written fits the styles and the textures."  WHATCH OUT AXE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"thank you base drums appropriate and mature" "clean digggggidegadat." 

Ok I got it now thanks. :peek:

you forgot "if i can dodge and ax i can dodge a sphere!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Aren't those the same two words in play this year?

7 Rennick lines have taken the Sanford in the last 13 years. Incredible.