Oh Canada!

Will we ever see a Canadian corps in the top 12?

Memories of DeLasalle Oaklands, Oakland Crusaders, Seneca Optimists, Dutchboy and add Ventures, St. Johns Girls, Les Eclipse, Les Insolite, etc

There is alot of history and talent in Ontario... 

Heck many current staff members and Judges live and work in Canada in the offseason..

There is interest in the youth here.. You'd need to look no further than the Burlington Teen Tour Band to know that there is some level of interest here.. The Trick is perhaps setting up the corps to be able to recruit from Northwest NY, Michigan. Get some serious and big names from the activity involved with the corps and build it slowly with proper and adequate funding.. Many of the Canada corps dissolved because the local competition stopped.

But I say if once existed, there must be a way to revive it again... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

There is alot of history and talent in Ontario... 

Heck many current staff members and Judges live and work in Canada in the offseason..

There is interest in the youth here.. You'd need to look no further than the Burlington Teen Tour Band to know that there is some level of interest here.. The Trick is perhaps setting up the corps to be able to recruit from Northwest NY, Michigan. Get some serious and big names from the activity involved with the corps and build it slowly with proper and adequate funding.. Many of the Canada corps dissolved because the local competition stopped.

But I say if once existed, there must be a way to revive it again... 

That was really cool!

Despite the fact that summers must be cooler in Canada, which would be good for DCI, I wonder if marching band in general is less popular because fall/winter is so cold.  Less HS and colleges would reduce the community that feeds and supports corps.  Also, is football as popular in CA, or are they more about soccer there?  I would think that would make a big difference.

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Despite the fact that summers must be cooler in Canada, which would be good for DCI, I wonder if marching band in general is less popular because fall/winter is so cold.  Less HS and colleges would reduce the community that feeds and supports corps.  Also, is football as popular in CA, or are they more about soccer there?  I would think that would make a big difference.

There are no School funded Extra Curricular Activities.. No Football teams (with few a exceptions) and No Marching bands..

There are Concert music programs.. but nothing that of the level in the US. A shame really because the weather in Southern Ontario is comparable to that of Massachusetts and Marching band still exists in the Fall in Mass and across the Border in the Buffalo area.

The Local WGI guards here complete in the North West New York Colorguard Circuit.. The Drumlines that do exist here in Ontario compete in two local (competing) Circuits, which is Idiotic IMO.

So the Back in the day Drums Corps where a fun thing to do in the summer with your local friends.. But nowadays Kids have many more avenues for entertainment and that is the excuse I keep hearing when I ask what happened..

But despite that the Teen Tour band still exists, and is thriving so It just boggles my mind why the organizers of that endeavor don't get serious and at the very least field a DCA Corps or an Open Class corps to start... Time commitment would be about the same.. 

So no football, no marching band, no touchstone by which to identify and appreciate, build a community and so forth.  That is too bad.  

I know hockey is popular there, though, so maybe they could invent "skating band".  Speed of the drill would be amazing.