Collusion During DCI Finals Week

I remember in 1989 at US Open (Marion,OH) and it was probably 100 degrees and we LOVED it! Drank Screwdrivers out of the cooler and couldn't get drunk because we sweat it off. Then came SCV pants changing tunnel and then I thought I was drunk! LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wisconsin.  Never go there without a jacket. 

Rochester over Labor Day weekend. As the sun went down at start of Finals the shadows moved across the stands. Went from comfortable to “I’m going to get the jackets out of the car” in seconds.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, garfield said:

I contend that DCI and the LOS management team collude every year to sell souvies.  Specifically long sleeve sweatshirts, workout gear, and coats.

How?  The stadium temperature is kept at iceberg levels, forcing people to buy more clothing just to stay warm during the show.

No, that is just so you can comfortably wear your corps jacket to the show.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, that is just so you can comfortably wear your corps jacket to the show.

Now that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Remember how c-c-cold it was in Madison for 1992 championships? We had to go into town and buy cheap sweatshirts. Global cooling...global warming...climate change... Don't let them fool you. It was Big Oshkosh B'gosh getting a cut.

...or '82 in Montreal? 

Lol went to Cooperstown, NY in middle of August and froze at night. Went to a store in town and couldn’t find anything warm . So asked where can I get a sweatshirt. Was told “Baseball Hall of Fame has nice ones”. Now there is collusion. 😉

Then I asked where do locals buy clothes.... problem resolved for less that $50

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DeanInChicago said:

Friday night, it was chilly in 241.  From time to time, you would feel a big whoosh of cold air.

Saturday night, it was just right in 141.

Adjusting the interior temperature of an NFL stadium to desirable levels is exceptionally challenging.  I read someplace that the Houston Texans worked with a meteorologist to devise rules for if and when to open the roof on NRG Stadium.  

In Indy, LOS's managers would have had to contend with the following:

• The August heat
  • Constant entrances and exits, likely many more than are encountered during a football game
  • Constantly fluctuating spectator numbers that never hit more than 50% of the stadium's capacity (translation: fewer warm bodies to heat up the interior ambient temperature).  

I suppose it's possible that DCI and LOS colluded to gin up souvie sales by cranking the A/C to subarctic levels, but I suspect that there's a much simpler and less sinister reason: trying to get the interior temperature to a desirable level inside one of those caverns is a lot harder than setting the thermostat to 78°.

Wonder if too hot and too humid would create a rain cloud in the stadium. Have heard that would happen in the old Astrodome. Got on an airplane at Guam one night and until they closed the door there was mist up against the roof and it was dripping. People were asking for magazines to hold over their heads.

• Haha 1