Collusion During DCI Finals Week

9 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Adjusting the interior temperature of an NFL stadium to desirable levels is exceptionally challenging.  I read someplace that the Houston Texans worked with a meteorologist to devise rules for if and when to open the roof on NRG Stadium.  

In Indy, LOS's managers would have had to contend with the following:

• The August heat
  • Constant entrances and exits, likely many more than are encountered during a football game
  • Constantly fluctuating spectator numbers that never hit more than 50% of the stadium's capacity (translation: fewer warm bodies to heat up the interior ambient temperature).  

I suppose it's possible that DCI and LOS colluded to gin up souvie sales by cranking the A/C to subarctic levels, but I suspect that there's a much simpler and less sinister reason: trying to get the interior temperature to a desirable level inside one of those caverns is a lot harder than setting the thermostat to 78°.

And those drapes cannot help with the air flow. 

It is ALWAYS cold in LOS. The cold air vents are right over the 200s / 300s /400s, so that seems to be the coldest. Football game, soccer match, BOA, ISSMA...I am always cold. I've volunteered all around the building and sat all around the building, and I'll say that mid-stands are the worst for cold, as is the tunnel at times. The dock/prop area can be hot as hell, and the field is actually fairly comfortable. I always bring a jacket or sweater.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Remember how c-c-cold it was in Madison for 1992 championships? We had to go into town and buy cheap sweatshirts. Global cooling...global warming...climate change... Don't let them fool you. It was Big Oshkosh B'gosh getting a cut.

yeah finals was brutal

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

Adjusting the interior temperature of an NFL stadium to desirable levels is exceptionally challenging.  I read someplace that the Houston Texans worked with a meteorologist to devise rules for if and when to open the roof on NRG Stadium.  

In Indy, LOS's managers would have had to contend with the following:

• The August heat
  • Constant entrances and exits, likely many more than are encountered during a football game
  • Constantly fluctuating spectator numbers that never hit more than 50% of the stadium's capacity (translation: fewer warm bodies to heat up the interior ambient temperature).  

I suppose it's possible that DCI and LOS colluded to gin up souvie sales by cranking the A/C to subarctic levels, but I suspect that there's a much simpler and less sinister reason: trying to get the interior temperature to a desirable level inside one of those caverns is a lot harder than setting the thermostat to 78°.

I would think subarctic may be too low of a setting to choose

The more people in the stadium, the warmer it is likely to be. Fewer people, the cooler. There were some moments where it did seem the air blowers were on, but it was early on in prelims or semi’s. Also, DCI probably does not have the temperature of LOS in the agreement.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:50 PM, garfield said:

I contend that DCI and the LOS management team collude every year to sell souvies.  Specifically long sleeve sweatshirts, workout gear, and coats.

How?  The stadium temperature is kept at iceberg levels, forcing people to buy more clothing just to stay warm during the show.

It's hilarious that it was 85 degrees outside and even while some people literally bundle up to sit in the stadium, others go stand outside the smoking doors just to warm up during INTs.  Watching fans stream out after the show means watching people strip off layers for the trek to the hotels.

DCI's continuous search for cost savings and new revenue might start with saving some energy dollars and renegotiating the stadium costs down by warming it up a little during finals week.  I'm first in line voicing my enjoyment of comfy seats, decent (once per year food), and rain protection but the stadium management/DCI Souvie Managers cabal needs to come to an end.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

(/ only a little bit of sarcasm)

And here I was blaming the Blue Stars for using their Indiana contacts to enhance the ambiance for their Call of the Wild snow trek.

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2019 at 6:14 PM, Tim K said:

The more people in the stadium, the warmer it is likely to be. Fewer people, the cooler. There were some moments where it did seem the air blowers were on, but it was early on in prelims or semi’s. Also, DCI probably does not have the temperature of LOS in the agreement.

I would feel a little draft occasionally but it was never enough to put on my jacket. 

Always good to see you, Tim!  Now I know where you sit. 

that's what your corps jacket is for