Stop, Start, Change

Stop: The current pre-show process as a corps takes the field. I miss the days of hearing BD do F tuning.

Start: Promoting SoundSport more.

Change: Have every corps start at the exact same time. Full contact drum corps. Last one standing wins.

Edited by critter
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Every single one of those elements is in fact judged/considered so this isn't a change at all. They may not have an individual sheet assigned to them but are covered in music analysis and general effect sheets.

They are considered. Just like marching a complex drill was once judged but is now considered.  

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

They are considered. Just like marching a complex drill was once judged but is now considered.  

All elements are considered as they comprise the whole. Complex drill is but one tool that can be used in a show and if that is ALL that is used it isn't going to score well. What new and innovative drill move have you seen in the last 10 years that was really new and innovative? I bet you can count them on one hand maybe.

8 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

STOP THE VIOLENCE...…………………………………………..

I'm sorry, did you say violins or violence?  Maybe stop both???????????

:fight:     :giljotiini:     :whistle: 

Well it’s tricky I believe it’s the use of violins that cause the violence 😉

Stop - recorded singing/narration, and the godforsaken corps announcement in the middle of music. I friggin HATE that! Micing soloists standing along the front side line!

Start - Requiring the brass ensemble to play at least 75 - 80% of the time. Score higher difficult musical runs (typically a scale that EVERYONE does) while moving. If you can't play it while moving, don't play it at all!

Stop - The obligatory section features (that EVERYONE does) Trumpets, now Mid voices, now lower brass, now tuba, wait, there's more, snares, moving on to the multi-toms, lastly basses. Another pet peeve of mine - over written percussion books (some call in 'aggressive'). When it doesn't 'blend' (IMO) with what the brass is doing, it is rather annoying. Like a child that is not getting enough attention who suddenly lashes out. STOP IT ALREADY!

Oh, I could go on!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, critter said:

Stop: The current pre-show process as a corps takes the field. I miss the days of hearing BD do F tuning.

Start: Promoting SoundSport more.

Change: Have every corp start at the exact same time. Full contact drum corps. Last one standing wins.

I personally dig the preshow stuff. Esp the way Bluecoats are doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

STOP -  Turing musicians and guard members into stage hands..

START -  Drill.  Drill that's not limited to only one side of the field.            

CHANGE - Change costumes less.  

Edited by bluesman
clarity
  • Like 3

STOP - The over use of A&E and full brass mics

START - safety standards for props - I don't know to what extent this already exists, but honestly, my fear for the members' safety on some of these stages/props takes me out of the performance.  The Cadets cross through drill at the apex of the four stairwells is an example.

CHANGE - Open Class Finals to Wednesday.  Now that they moved it closer to Indy, I would happily fly out a day early and drive up to watch open class finals.

• Like 2

Stop the use of front-sideline microphones to "enhance" the brass volume.

IMO, acoustic sounds better than what might be considered artificial.  And the modern-day brass lines are trained well enough to produce that wonderful acoustic sound.

• Like 3