Stop, Start, Change

Stop - squatting every time the corps hits a sustained note.  It gets old quickly.

Change - please, for the love all things drum corps, choose costumes that we can see. For example, compare SCV and Bluecoats this year. I saw both live in Atlanta, and on the big screen at Quarters, and I swear I could not see what SCV was doing. They sure got a high visual score, but I’ll have to take the judges word.  It just looked muddy to me, and formless.  I got a little sad when the highlight from the first year in Indy looked so stunning in the classic red coats. But the costuming for Bluecoats was stunning. I LOVED the color tones, the slight variations of blue contrasted with the bright guard. Yes, I’m old, and I miss the classic uniforms (especially Cadets and SCV). But I appreciate the new when it’s done well. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

STOP THE VIOLENCE...…………………………………………..

I'm sorry, did you say violins or violence?  Maybe stop both???????????

:fight:     :giljotiini:     :whistle: 

Stop... The goofy "gnashing of teeth" attempt at being dark and menacing.  The fashion this year was dark and sinister, and if I had a buck for every time I saw someone squat down and gnash their teeth and try to look overly angsty I'd be driving a new Ferrari to Finals next year.  Stop the corny "emoting" and simply play some sinister licks on your instrument instead.

Start... Taking and leaving the field like pros.  I loved seeing Madison actually MARCH crisply onto the field, and hearing Cavies play off with the always awesome bass cadence Iowa.  This is the stuff that makes it feel like the big leagues.  Plus it adds extra entertainment and cool factor to the show.  More of this, please.

Change... the compulsory trombone feature thing.  Nothing against the bone, but why must everyone have a trombone solo and feature?  Did we really have to change the entire look and vibe of DCI for a slight change in timbre which is used in a very predictable way?  Seeing trombones on a DCI field is like seeing a mini van on the grid of an Indy Car race.  Now it looks like sousaphones may be the new trombones.  Then electric guitar will be the new sousaphone.  Eventually maybe this one obscure bright/kinda rude yet awesome sounding horn will make its way into the mix- it is crazy, pitched to key of G, only has a couple valves, super sexy though... a true hammer of the Gods- called a bugle or something like that.  

Edited by Guitar1974
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stop: standing still while playing , mostly between 35 -35 yd, front hash to sideline. I’m very over that staging.  I’m not asking for 14 min of tradition drill either...just move and cover more of the field. 

Start: taking more chances and having amazing wow moments. Even Casual fans remember big moments or great elements  in a show. Don’t be a snooze fest that no one remembers afterward or at a regional where you just blend in and were forgettable. Give us more reasons to jump up and cheer mid show! 

Continue: signature moves that give you a little identity and the alumni go crazy for. Z-pull, conquest shots, crown drill, and many more.   

Edit: ALSO please stop sustained mellos to build to a climax. I need a year off from everyone doing that. 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 4

I could list all kinds of "stop" examples in vain, because the marching music industrial complex is here to stay.  But there is hope in one case.

Stop with the non-uniform "uniforms".  Who thinks similar-but-different is a good look?  And it cannot be a more profitable use of costume design time to produce 154 designs instead of 2.  How did this ever become a thing?

10 hours ago, bluesman said:

STOP -  Turing musicians and guard member into stage hands..

START -  Drill.  Drill that's not limited to only one side of the field.            

CHANGE - Change costumes less.  

I watched a video with Dean Westman and the set up/clean up of the jagged line stage involving member time was the biggest regret for that show.

Obviously they still moved the stages around a bit mid show this year but it didn't seem to be as crazy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I could list all kinds of "stop" examples in vain, because the marching music industrial complex is here to stay.  But there is hope in one case.

Stop with the non-uniform "uniforms".  Who thinks similar-but-different is a good look?  And it cannot be a more profitable use of costume design time to produce 154 designs instead of 2.  How did this ever become a thing?

I loved Bluecoats uniforms the last two years!  Just an incredible look and a uniqueness to them all.  I hope they continue down this path. 

• Like 5

GIVE IT A REST

1. Hell
  2. Decapitation, immolation, impalement
  3. Romeo & Juliet & variants
  4. Verticality

GIVE IT A TRY

1. Joy
  2. Deep genre: Blues, Latin, anything. Go all in.

GIVE IT A TWIST

1. Speaker deployment that puts everyone between the goal lines in the Blast Zone. They say it's all about acoustic "enhancement." Well, let's enhance the fan experience. Don't amplify: Expand. Make the experience on the 17 just as good as the experience on the 47.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2019 at 4:51 AM, cixelsyd said:

Oooh ... pick me ... pick me!

I think Bluecoats looked absolutely awesome in 2018 and 2019. The slightly different costumes on each performer are fascinating to study as an audience member, and the way they combine to form the overall visual aesthetic of the show is very pleasing. I think it's the best non-traditional look that we've yet seen in DCI.

In contrast, Santa Clara all wore the same ugly grey pajamas this year.

I know which one I hope other groups study and learn from!

• Like 4