Stop, Start, Change

On 8/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, Rocketman said:

Stop - recorded singing/narration, and the godforsaken corps announcement in the middle of music. I friggin HATE that! Micing soloists standing along the front side line!

Start - Requiring the brass ensemble to play at least 75 - 80% of the time. Score higher difficult musical runs (typically a scale that EVERYONE does) while moving. If you can't play it while moving, don't play it at all!

Stop - The obligatory section features (that EVERYONE does) Trumpets, now Mid voices, now lower brass, now tuba, wait, there's more, snares, moving on to the multi-toms, lastly basses. Another pet peeve of mine - over written percussion books (some call in 'aggressive'). When it doesn't 'blend' (IMO) with what the brass is doing, it is rather annoying. Like a child that is not getting enough attention who suddenly lashes out. STOP IT ALREADY!

Oh, I could go on!

Rocketman I know one  brass writer that would have to quit for sure

Edited by EricS

On 8/14/2019 at 12:22 AM, Guitar1974 said:

Stop... The goofy "gnashing of teeth" attempt at being dark and menacing.  The fashion this year was dark and sinister, and if I had a buck for every time I saw someone squat down and gnash their teeth and try to look overly angsty I'd be driving a new Ferrari to Finals next year.  Stop the corny "emoting" and simply play some sinister licks on your instrument instead.

Start... Taking and leaving the field like pros.  I loved seeing Madison actually MARCH crisply onto the field, and hearing Cavies play off with the always awesome bass cadence Iowa.  This is the stuff that makes it feel like the big leagues.  Plus it adds extra entertainment and cool factor to the show.  More of this, please.

Change... the compulsory trombone feature thing.  Nothing against the bone, but why must everyone have a trombone solo and feature?  Did we really have to change the entire look and vibe of DCI for a slight change in timbre which is used in a very predictable way?  Seeing trombones on a DCI field is like seeing a mini van on the grid of an Indy Car race.  Now it looks like sousaphones may be the new trombones.  Then electric guitar will be the new sousaphone.  Eventually maybe this one obscure bright/kinda rude yet awesome sounding horn will make its way into the mix- it is crazy, pitched to key of G, only has a couple valves, super sexy though... a true hammer of the Gods- called a bugle or something like that.  

God forbid the activity sinks to sousaphones. Then it will be the Space-race for the knitted bell covers last seen on Madison's contras and given full personality by Blue Rocks' elephant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stop with gray neutral-tone uniforms. It hard to read the great things you are doing visually when you blend in to the background.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 2:30 PM, TRacer said:

Stop 🛑: utterly inappropriate DUT-ing during soft or transitional music moments. You’ve got 3-5 DMs all over the place...perhaps multiple Sanfords back at the corps hall...when did subdividing QUARTER notes (!) in your head become a lost art? 

Change:  Use cowbells attached to the battery in lieu of DUT-ing. If the snares & tenors “have” to DUT, let’s commit to it and get it out there. Imagine a corps playing the “Generic Love Theme” from Star Trek: The Original Series (you know, the 8-note phrase played by a lyrical flute whenever a love interest is in a filtered shot) when tinktinktink!!! kicks in. That’s some solid GE right there.

Start: ...having all corps wear their corps’ heritage uniform at retreat like Cavies did. 

Thank you for saying this. As a snare drummer I HATE to hear Dutting from the line. A better timing method is to play 2 8th note stick clicks on the left stick before the attack.

I hope someone has the time (and technical abilities) to summarize all these great contributions, spot the trending of the same, and perhaps showcase these insights so that they might be directed to the pertinent DCI personnel and individual corps' design staffs now in the Fall when the decisions for performance are basically aligned. I and certainly others would be appreciative.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, Rocketman said:

Another pet peeve of mine - over written percussion books (some call in 'aggressive'). When it doesn't 'blend' (IMO) with what the brass is doing, it is rather annoying. Like a child that is not getting enough attention who suddenly lashes out. STOP IT ALREADY!

I have been meaning to post this too. We get it...lines are loaded with rockstars but the non stop barrage of a million beats per second isnt musical. That's what the drum solo is for. Please write simpler more musical charts...Ala Ringo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I have been meaning to post this too. We get it...lines are loaded with rockstars but the non stop barrage of a million beats per second isnt musical. That's what the drum solo is for. Please write simpler more musical charts...Ala Ringo.

Looking at the Bluecoats snare chart for Ringo's drum solo this minute - it's definitely "aggressive."

Mike

• Like 1

Stop: orange props on green fields with white lines. [The unit from Arklow wanted to know if all DCI shows are salute to the Irish.]

Stop: the tendency of musical arrangers re-hashing what other arrangers have done with musical pieces within the same decade; it almost seems like a contest of "anything you can do I can do better."

Start: talking earlier in the off-season between corps so that the same songs aren't done within the same season by multi-corps whether SCV and BD, Cadets and Academy, or whomever.

Start: playing on the move not merely park and bark or small featured segments while the rest of the corps is tacit.

Start: marching, moving again using the entire football field not merely between the 30's

Start: featuring cornets as much as sousaphones and trombones.

Change: The somber, "dark," dismal, grey and black perspectives of damaged life as show themes and topics. Give us some hope, happiness, and reasons to cheer not just tear.

Change: ridiculous amount of techs, judges, show admins cluttering the track; put field judges back on the full perimeters of the field. 

• Like 1