Favorite Ballad of the Year?

Gabriel’s oboe. -Crown

Hurt - BK

ordinary world - southwind

• Like 4

Carolina Crown - Gabriel's Oboe 

Just got to work and Yo-Yo Ma was playing it on Pandora. :inlove:

• Like 4

For me it has to be the Blue Devils.  It was the solo at the start, and the lead up to the rotating drill - gave me chills. 

Some of my other favorites from this incredible season are:

1. Blue Devils

2.  Cavies

3.  Bluecoats

4.  Blue Knights

5.  Boston

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Great list, Poppy.  

I now agree with you on our discussion last week.  I know I gave you a little pushback but you’re 100% right. 

Told you that those Crownies typically mistake fans liking their brass line with liking their non-medal shows. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ballads are way more than music they are the emotional lynch-pin to many programs and they need to fire on ALL cylinders musically and visually to make them great. All the below is my opinion of course.

1. Bloo - The combination of a powerful song (do some research on what inspired Blackbird to be written and what is about then go back and watch it) and a visual and intellectual treatment that pulled every ounce of emotion out of it makes it the best ballad on 2019.

2. BD - What can you say about this other than the theater in the round look to the stage, the integration of the sabers, the artistry of the brass playing combined with the level of detail to the body work by the brass makes this one epic.

3. Cavaliers - Again so well designed both musically and visually. The intellectual component of the musical choice combined with the visual and intellectual treatment through the flag design and how it tied into the concept and the spectacular playing make this ballad great.

*Crown - I wold put the musical aspect of this ballad at the top but unfortunately for Crown the visual treatment they layered on top of what should have been a home-run of a ballad makes this the biggest disappointment of the 2019 season. Close your eyes and it's great, watch it and you start to scratch your head at the choices they made. I can't believe how poorly conceived it was visually. It takes a lot of work to screw this up and ###### if the visual staff didn't do just that. Unfortunately for Crown, to be a medalist means having the WHOLE package and they just didn't this year. Sorry Crownies.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3