Show concepts for 2020

Self explanatory, I love fun threads. Being negative is so boring. We’re all armchair show designers, so what kind of show would YOU want to see in 2020? Say what and why! No opinion is wrong in this thread. We’re all friends here. (please refer to whatever corps thread you’re mad about to talk #### on that respective thread)

I’ll have a go, for Blue Stars being the fun/campy/not so serious corps they are I would love for them to do a show based off of the Pixar film UP! Imagine the guard work... Michael Giacchino’s score would serve for all the highs and lows of the show (AMAZING score btw). A house prop with balloons that serves as the main prop that moves across the field from the city to Paradise Falls. If there’s a corps to GO there with uniforms... and an amazing happy ending in Blue Stars fashion. Okay, your turn.

• Like 2

Not sure whether we are doing a show for a single corps, but I've been preaching that Crown needs to go back to what got them into the top tier...quirky and campy. i.e. Puck One, Danzon, and basically the entire Finis show. 

I suggest that they maximize on Danzon and do a Dia de los Muertos show. The colors, the culture, THE MUSIC...could really be something special with that brass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Not sure whether we are doing a show for a single corps, but I've been preaching that Crown needs to go back to what got them into the top tier...quirky and campy. i.e. Puck One, Danzon, and basically the entire Finis show. 

I suggest that they maximize on Danzon and do a Dia de los Muertos show. The colors, the culture, THE MUSIC...could really be something special with that brass.

As many corps as you want, really.

Please no Finis guard unis... LOL 

I could see that, perhaps even a mariachi ensemble with the guard doing a folklorico dance. Although a mariachi trumpet sound may not be exactly the greatest for a whole trumpet section... the individual vibrato would have the stands so confused hahah

Latin music seems to bode well for all drum corps... at LEAST in terms of enjoyment.  

Edited by johnpendell

Has anyone done a Drum Corps show about Drum Corps?  Maybe an homage alluding (NOT duplicating) great shows of the past.

OK -- if you want to kill off the DM at the end, I'll buy that. But you gotta have "Tinkerbell" from Crown's "Grass Is Always Greener" do it.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Has anyone done a Drum Corps show about Drum Corps?  Maybe an homage alluding (NOT duplicating) great shows of the past.

OK -- if you want to kill off the DM at the end, I'll buy that. But you gotta have "Tinkerbell" from Crown's "Grass Is Always Greener" do it.

There have been some "best of" shows such as '03 Cadets "Our Favorite Things" or '90 Cadets "A Bernstein Celebration"

Also, VK used to throw in a lot of references to other corps, such as the Bottle Dance in '92  "NOT"

A “Big band” concept  would be amazing by any number of corps.

A New Orleans concept That was based in jazz but focused on the unique culture of that area would be pretty neat and, musically, very interesting.

And while I probably would regret it, after seeing the bluecoats show, and watching the new Elton John movie, a show based on his music would be a blast. No pun intended.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

There have been some "best of" shows such as '03 Cadets "Our Favorite Things" or '90 Cadets "A Bernstein Celebration"

Also, VK used to throw in a lot of references to other corps, such as the Bottle Dance in '92  "NOT"

I guess I'm thinking of something like VK -- though not too campy.  Not a single show about a single Corps, but the activity as a whole.

Would folks get upset if a Corps did a frantic drill set that included a delta, crown, fleur-de-lis, etc. as a tribute?

What about a little history tracing, like Madison and BD did recently on the starting line? The guard could be in the old style uniforms with the white marching boots -- of course there'd be a costume change later on.

Just brainstorming here.

How about a tribute to John Williams?  One of the greatest composers of our time.  It would have to be a very well thought out and put together show.  If done right, it could simply be amazing.  I'm not sure which corps' design staff would do it justice though.

• Like 3

If I could field a non-competitive exhibition Corps I'd like to design a show that little kids would love with songs like banana dance, tooty-ta, and of course baby shark. Parents would love this too, because they dont hear enough of it. 

• Haha 1