Show concepts for 2020

26 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

A “Big band” concept  would be amazing by any number of corps.

A New Orleans concept That was based in jazz but focused on the unique culture of that area would be pretty neat and, musically, very interesting.

And while I probably would regret it, after seeing the bluecoats show, and watching the new Elton John movie, a show based on his music would be a blast. No pun intended.

The funeral.

Starts with Funeral March by Edvard Greig, transitions to Friends Never Say goodby by Elton John ft. Backstreet Boys then finishes with an all out Jazz funeral.

42 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

A “Big band” concept  would be amazing by any number of corps.

A New Orleans concept That was based in jazz but focused on the unique culture of that area would be pretty neat and, musically, very interesting.

And while I probably would regret it, after seeing the bluecoats show, and watching the new Elton John movie, a show based on his music would be a blast. No pun intended.

I would imagine that once WW's are allowed in DCI this would be a great first introduction as to what sounds are missing from the Timbre... 

IMO you cant do Big Band Jazz without that sweet sound of the Sax Section.. 

Maybe a nice Clarinet Jazz Solo.. 

Some Jazz Flute {Anchorman voice}

I'm surprised someone hasn't already done this properly in WGI Winds.. I could make a decades worth of Shows using Bob Mintzer Big band Tunes.. 

56 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I guess I'm thinking of something like VK -- though not too campy.  Not a single show about a single Corps, but the activity as a whole.

Would folks get upset if a Corps did a frantic drill set that included a delta, crown, fleur-de-lis, etc. as a tribute?

What about a little history tracing, like Madison and BD did recently on the starting line? The guard could be in the old style uniforms with the white marching boots -- of course there'd be a costume change later on.

Just brainstorming here.

Specifically to the bolded point here--go look at the 1812 section of Crown 2008. Hornline is split into four groups, each given different tributes to other corps for the drill. There's a Cavies diamond cutter, a Phantom crab-walk wedge with 360, a Z-pull, the mellos (who are playing the Simple Gifts melody) doing a dissolving company front a la Cadets '87, some Brubaker (Cavies) geometric drill--it's delightful to watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Drum Corps Guy said:

How about a tribute to John Williams?  One of the greatest composers of our time.  It would have to be a very well thought out and put together show.  If done right, it could simply be amazing.  I'm not sure which corps' design staff would do it justice though.

The last full show to feature all John Williams music was The Cadets 1995 salute to the 50th Anniversary of World War II. Not sure how they managed the rights, but it could have been that Jay Bocook had some connections through his publisher.  The show featured a truly amazing music book. Fun and exciting for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing a corps explore the music from the movie "Far and Away" once again. 

• Like 1

As crazy as it sounds, if anyone could bring a Michael Jackson show to life, the Bluecoats could. But there is a lot of baggage there that would likely cause an uproar all summer.

<< ducks >>

• Like 1

I would love to see someone tackle either of the following:

-Concept show based on the music of Led Zeppelin (thinking BD, Crossmen, Crown, Coats, SCV): "When the Levee Breaks" "Stairway" "Immigrant Song" "Kashmir" the list keeps going. Imagine the BD leads doing the harmonica part in When the Levee Breaks on trumpet!!!

-Concept show based on the music of Queen (thinking Crown, BD, Coats): "Bohemian Rhapsody" "Somebody to Love" "Another One Bites the Dust" "Killer Queen" "Fat Bottom Girls" etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

This was actually what the Bluecoats had considered doing in 2018 before settling on the Billie Holiday theme.

• Like 2