Show concepts for 2020

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

They basically have the uniforms (you're welcome Band Shoppe), so Boston could get the rights to do The Gladiator.  Complete with chariot crashes and a couple of guard as tigers.  Fantastic musical score.

Is not the Band Shoppe contract up this season and other "houses" perhaps seeking to be the Crusaders' butlers in waiting?

On 8/13/2019 at 2:09 PM, nsxanax said:

Don't care what corps puts it on the field, but one word:

Prince

His catalog is vast. Can you imagine a closer featuring Purple Rain?

The possibilities...

Prince was most protective of his music.  Wherever he appeared, in his green room, as part of his rider, a laptop had to be set up and on google so he could personally search for anyone using his music.  If/when found ,they immediately were delivered a cease and desist order.  I don't think we'll hear his music on the field.  At least legally.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Sad 1

Whatever corps do, I hope the copycat mindset we usually see does not become the flavor of the day, meaning:  Bluecoats show was great.  But I don't want to see the best of Led Zeppelin, Queen, Prince, John Williams etc., etc.  I want more original shows created with whatever "theme" can be designed and developed musically and visually.  I would prefer more movement integrating all sections as a cohesive visual element and less sectional "staged" presentations.  Make staging more organic versus contrived.  I am tiring of park and play and sense we are seeing the beginning of guard park and dance or park and toss.  Do all that on the move.   I want drum lines who purport to be great drum lines play more than it seemed to me they were doing last year.  One top corps percussion section stayed out for over 3 minutes. Not a sound.  Another was pretty close to that as well.  And fewer stage hands would be nice.  "Hi Mom, I paid $4,000 to push a prop around for half a show.  It was a great drum corps experience".

Be creative, pick great music, write great drill and entertain the he$$ out of us.  Thank you.  Rant over.  Looking forward to next year.  Overall it was an amazingly competitive year.  Congrats to all, good luck to all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Whatever corps do, I hope the copycat mindset we usually see does not become the flavor of the day, meaning:  Bluecoats show was great.  But I don't want to see the best of Led Zeppelin, Queen, Prince, John Williams etc., etc.  I want more original shows created with whatever "theme" can be designed and developed musically and visually.  I would prefer more movement integrating all sections as a cohesive visual element and less sectional "staged" presentations.  Make staging more organic versus contrived.  I am tiring of park and play and sense we are seeing the beginning of guard park and dance or park and toss.  Do all that on the move.   I want drum lines who purport to be great drum lines play more than it seemed to me they were doing last year.  One top corps percussion section stayed out for over 3 minutes. Not a sound.  Another was pretty close to that as well.  And fewer stage hands would be nice.  "Hi Mom, I paid $4,000 to push a prop around for half a show.  It was a great drum corps experience".

Be creative, pick great music, write great drill and entertain the he$$ out of us.  Thank you.  Rant over.  Looking forward to next year.  Overall it was an amazingly competitive year.  Congrats to all, good luck to all.

well said.

emphasis is my own.

• Like 3

With the current usage of synth and vocal samplings I would really love to see SCV or Crown pull off John Adam's Harmonium...nothing else.  That could be an amazing show.

I know Academy did a great job with it a few years ago, but I would LOVE to see a top 6 corps take on Mary Poppins. When I was marching we had a staff member that floated that idea year after year, in jest I believe, but it would be great.

Maybe Madison going coed could see that former staff member's "dream" come to fruition.

That said, I've always wanted to see a show based on either the movie Pleasantville or Midnight in Paris.

Or the Muppets, someone needs to do a full on Muppets show.

Also...we need a corps like VK again.

• Like 1