Show concepts for 2020

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I would be very surprised if any Prince music was allowed to be played.  His music is very protected.  Think John Williams and then some.  I said it before, he had a rider in his contract that required a laptop computer be set up in his dressing room so he could look for anyone violating copyrights to his music and would immediately have a cease and desist order issued to the offender/s.  Too bad really because he has a TON of music.  Supposedly a lot he has never recorded for albums.

That has definitely been the case in years past, but I think that with his unfortunate and untimely demise, access to his music has loosened quite a bit! For the right price, his estate would definitely grant the rights. 

1 minute ago, OldSchoolCorps said:

That has definitely been the case in years past, but I think that with his unfortunate and untimely demise, access to his music has loosened quite a bit! For the right price, his estate would definitely grant the rights. 

My guess is his estate would be even more protective of his legacy and not allow access any more than before.  If they did some of his music would be covered by now.  I can't recall anyone doing his music other than him. 

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolCorps said:

Well i checked and there appears to be some songs covered by other artists/bands but in the list is a song by Sinead O'Connor.  It is listed as a cover but it was written by Prince for her.  So it isn't really a cover.

59 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

My guess is his estate would be even more protective of his legacy and not allow access any more than before.  If they did some of his music would be covered by now.  I can't recall anyone doing his music other than him. 

Can’t really agree that someone would’ve covered it by now. Also, Chaka Khan covered “I Feel For You”. It’s definitely possible to accomplish rights for a theatrical presentation or show. The process may be trying, but it is possible, no doubt.

P.C. might do a Salute to Cali corps show, perhaps called Tarzania. Borrow Mandies bungee cords to swing from SCV's firehouse poles, Tarzan and Jane need only wear the grey castaways from 2019, and she can swing her locks like BDCG. On djemn drums, the front ensemble can lead us into Africa with the low brass allowing the re-do of Blue Rock's Baby Elephant Walk. Now if only Blue Stars head West in 2020, they might also lend Mt. Kilimanjaro to complete the motif. 

• Like 1

Someone should do an Earth, Wind and Fire show. I know it would mean they would have to have truly kick ### brass lines, but if they hit the right tone, it would be amazing.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, LabMaster said:

Well i checked and there appears to be some songs covered by other artists/bands but in the list is a song by Sinead O'Connor.  It is listed as a cover but it was written by Prince for her.  So it isn't really a cover.

It was actually written for, and first done by The Family. Sinéad O’Connor’s version was just more popular.

• Like 1

A show concept featuring the music of miles davis. john coltrane, chick corea and for all you jersey cats , wayne shorter...progression from be-bop to now..I don't know about the design, just the music...but what a great array of music to choose from..yes?

4 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

A show concept featuring the music of miles davis. john coltrane, chick corea and for all you jersey cats , wayne shorter...progression from be-bop to now..I don't know about the design, just the music...but what a great array of music to choose from..yes?

Absolutely.  Toss in some Weather Report and I am totally on board!

• Like 1