Semis interview question: Was it that bad?

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok what the heck was said...

Essentially he asked the Spartan's drum major (in front of the entire Semifinals crowd and everyone watching on Flo) if their championship should have an asterisk next to it because BDB and SCVC weren't at finals

24 minutes ago, wackywords said:

There seems to be a lot of discussion about this on social media, but was it that Dan said the wrong thing? Or was it just a badly timed question?

Discuss.

Sports reporters ask athletes pointed questions like this fairly often, but (1) the interview subjects know to expect this and are prepared, and (2) Potter's job in these interviews is to be DCI's public relations representative, not an independent journalist. If he were acting as a genuine reporter, like Tricia Nadolny, there are far tougher inquiries he should be directing at other people rather than tossing awkward questions like this at corps members.

That said, he apologized publicly within an hour or two, and I don't think he meant harm, so there's no need to dwell on it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

I, in fact, have misspoken before. I have also been correctly called out when I've misspoken and giving public interviews isn't even a part of my job description. It was an amateur move from a professional and has been rightfully called out.

Being called out is one thing. Some of the things people are saying about him and asking him to be fired etc are over the top. He apologized to the people that needed to be apologized to. People that heard it but are not involved with the Spartans organization in anyway have no right to ask for an apology nor should they expect one. People today want their pound of flesh I guess to make their miserable live more palatable? I don't get it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Being called out is one thing. Some of the things people are saying about him and asking him to be fired etc are over the top. He apologized to the people that needed to be apologized to. People that heard it but are not involved with the Spartans organization in anyway have no right to ask for an apology nor should they expect one. People today want their pound of flesh I guess to make their miserable live more palatable? I don't get it....

I felt that in general he didn't seem well prepared for the interviews during semifinals this year. He seemed to be winging it to varied degrees of success with the Spartans question being the most egregious example of a poorly thought out question. He is one of the public faces of DCI, I don't think it is unfair for the fan base to have opinions about whether he should keep doing the interviews.

I think firing him for one bad day/question is a bit extreme but I don't think he is beyond reproach from the DCI fan base either.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I am with you all the way. He apologized and if the Spartans are good with it, that's what should matter. But unfortunately we are in the age of the mob mentality and internet warrior. Everybody is tough hiding behind a computer screen when you don't have to worry about someone slapping the taste outta your mouth. Majority of those people don't have the guts to say that stuff to his face if presented with the opportunity. Same with Prosperie. 

• Like 2

Regardless of the question(s) asked or who asks them, my opinion remains unchanged: live, sideline interviews add no value to the show. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I am with you all the way. He apologized and if the Spartans are good with it, that's what should matter. But unfortunately we are in the age of the mob mentality and internet warrior. Everybody is tough hiding behind a computer screen when you don't have to worry about someone slapping the taste outta your mouth. Majority of those people don't have the guts to say that stuff to his face if presented with the opportunity. Same with Prosperie. 

The irony of complaining about internet tough guys by saying you'd physically assault them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Essentially he asked the Spartan's drum major (in front of the entire Semifinals crowd and everyone watching on Flo) if their championship should have an asterisk next to it because BDB and SCVC weren't at finals

Think the response is “do you use bbq sauce before you put your foot in mouth or do you like the taste plain”. 😉

he screwed up, he’s human and he apologized.. no biggie

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1