Semis interview question: Was it that bad?

It’s one thing to make a gaffe. Everyone does that. But this question seemed way beyond that. Cruel. Demeaning. How could that thought have even been in his brain at that moment, let alone allowing it to come out of his mouth?  You just dismissed their entire season with one comment. Why?  What were you hoping to accomplish?  Do you even understand why you’re there with a microphone in the first place?  Geeze. Yeah he apologized. All better. Very disappointing. His comparisons fall flat. Fracking a solo. Dropping a rifle. These are things done by marching members trying to do good things, entertaining the crowd etc. His unforced act was not at all in the same vein. Flame away, but that’s how I feel about this. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

It’s one thing to make a gaffe. Everyone does that. But this question seemed way beyond that. Cruel. Demeaning. How could that thought have even been in his brain at that moment, let alone allowing it to come out of his mouth?  You just dismissed their entire season with one comment. Why?  What were you hoping to accomplish?  Do you even understand why you’re there with a microphone in the first place?  Geeze. Yeah he apologized. All better. Very disappointing. His comparisons fall flat. Fracking a solo. Dropping a rifle. These are things done by marching members trying to do good things, entertaining the crowd etc. His unforced act was not at all in the same vein. Flame away, but that’s how I feel about this. 

I’ve never perceived you to feign outrage but you do have a hyperbolic steak as thick as mine.  I call BS and you’re overreacting. 

Stand in those kids’ shoes - the vast majority of the corps was out the tunnel when the comment came and probably heard Potter’s apology before they heard the tape.  Potter worked quickly to right the wrong.

we hear all the time that a loss doesn’t dampen the MM’s enthusiasm for a well-done season. How can one, simple misspoken comment take ANYTHING away from a win?  Me thinks you protest too much, and that likely the fans’ sensibilities where ruffled more than the MM’s egos and pride.

Lastly, I wonder: was there NO pre-season chatter in the Eastern OC ranks that the CA powerhouses we’re skipping the tour?  And is it really reasonable to think that the fact didn’t tickle the recruiting fancies?  “Hey, come, March!  With the CA corps staying home, there’s a chance we could win this thing!”  I don’t want to be accusatory -  or naive - and one is a fact and the other a supposition, but I’d bet there was LOTS of chatter in open class.

I would bet that Potter’s comment was at least Freudian if not the sentiments of a lot of people during the OC season.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

If I was marching in that corps, that's the question I'd be asking.

That question what any professional journalist would ask. It's like ask the College Football Playoff Champion, "Hey, you just won, but what do you think about Clemson

and Alabama not playing post season football this year?"

It's awkward, but that's the story.

I am an alum of the Spartans, and one of my sons also marched (as you can see in my signature).  I marched in 1987 when the corps made class A/A60 finals for the first time ever.  An amazing feeling for all involved for sure, and I can tell you, if someone had asked a stupid question to me after our finals performance (I was one of the drum majors), it would not in any way take the shine off of what we accomplished.  After watching the corps last week, and seeing how the drum majors handled themselves, I would bet the questions rolled off their backs, and it didn't take anything away from their accomplishments.

I do think his question was just ridiculous, and I have felt he has bias in his interviewing past, but I also hate the way people pile on via the internet, and turn into a lynch mob when a person makes a mistake.  Frankly, it is one of the reasons I don't use social media very much.  In my opinion, he apologized multiple times, and more importantly, directly to the corps, so it is over in my view.  And I would bet, knowing Paul Jr, he moved on the night it happened.

Looking forward to next year already! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wigwam said:

He apologized, he knows it was a horrible mistake.  I say let it be and lets move on. 

I agree.

I worked in radio for several years. Sometimes you say stuff on a live show you wish you could take back. It happens to just about everyone.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I’ve never perceived you to feign outrage but you do have a hyperbolic steak as thick as mine.  I call BS and you’re overreacting. 

Stand in those kids’ shoes - the vast majority of the corps was out the tunnel when the comment came and probably heard Potter’s apology before they heard the tape.  Potter worked quickly to right the wrong.

we hear all the time that a loss doesn’t dampen the MM’s enthusiasm for a well-done season. How can one, simple misspoken comment take ANYTHING away from a win?  Me thinks you protest too much, and that likely the fans’ sensibilities where ruffled more than the MM’s egos and pride.

Lastly, I wonder: was there NO pre-season chatter in the Eastern OC ranks that the CA powerhouses we’re skipping the tour?  And is it really reasonable to think that the fact didn’t tickle the recruiting fancies?  “Hey, come, March!  With the CA corps staying home, there’s a chance we could win this thing!”  I don’t want to be accusatory -  or naive - and one is a fact and the other a supposition, but I’d bet there was LOTS of chatter in open class.

I would bet that Potter’s comment was at least Freudian if not the sentiments of a lot of people during the OC season.

Call BS all you want but that’s how I feel about it. Full disclosure I do have a relative who aged out in Spartans a couple years ago. 

Dan asked a question that had and has no answer. He knew that. So why did he ask it?  What possible purpose could it serve?  

22 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Call BS all you want but that’s how I feel about it. Full disclosure I do have a relative who aged out in Spartans a couple years ago. 

Dan asked a question that had and has no answer. He knew that. So why did he ask it?  What possible purpose could it serve?  

Why does there have to be a purpose (aka ulterior motive)? Speak off the cuff enough, law of averages something dumb is going to come out.

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Why does there have to be a purpose (aka ulterior motive)? Speak off the cuff enough, law of averages something dumb is going to come out.

Dumb is fine. Mean spirited is not. I’ve said my peace. I’ll move on now.