Semis interview question: Was it that bad?

30 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

The irony of complaining about internet tough guys by saying you'd physically assault them

The poster was not advocating assault. The point was that they act like there are no repercussions for their behavior because, for the most part, there isn’t. 

Edited by jaylogan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sports reporters ask athletes pointed questions like this fairly often, but (1) the interview subjects know to expect this and are prepared, and (2) Potter's job in these interviews is to be DCI's public relations representative, not an independent journalist. If he were acting as a genuine reporter, like Tricia Nadolny, there are far tougher inquiries he should be directing at other people rather than tossing awkward questions like this at corps members.

That said, he apologized publicly within an hour or two, and I don't think he meant harm, so there's no need to dwell on it.

Big difference between sports reporters asking sometimes controversial questions of professional athletes being paid millions and a dci sideline reporter asking questions of young adults who pay to participate. And as you mentioned, the whole point, I assume, it to provide some human interest filler stories as a marketing angle. 

If so, every question asked should be of the goal: promote drum corps. Asking that question was about as off base and inappropriate as possible. He doesn't have to apologize to me though.

As mentioned by others, the interviews add no value to me. The same questions and the same answers, interestingly enough, just like sports interviews.

• Like 1

Yes, it was an out-of-line question and totally inappropriate. It could have been avoided with better preparation and knowing what he was going to ask rather than just winging it.

That being said, once it was out there, he was very contrite, took responsibility, and handled the situation in about as responsible and professional a manner as you could ask for. That goes a long way toward rectifying the situation.

We've all done and said some silly things in our day, the guy deserves some slack.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

The irony of complaining about internet tough guys by saying you'd physically assault them

Which is funny cause my post never mentioned me doing it. I said someone speaking in general. Thanks for the reply. Have a nice day. 

Dan Potter usually does a very good job, however he can also have biases in favor of certain corps. That has been the case for years, though I can’t recall his ever asking a question that seemed to take the luster out of a significant accomplishment. He apologized, Spartans have taken the high road, and it should be over. There is a solution. A highly regarded sports reporter in the Boston area is retiring this week, or at least will be semi retired. He features an athlete each week who accomplishes great things on and off the field. He also interviews student athletes after state tournaments, etc. so kids will be comfortable in front of the camera, he often provides the questions first, and the results are great. If Dan Potter did this, it could eliminate the possibility of this happening again.

1 hour ago, billj said:

Big difference between sports reporters asking sometimes controversial questions of professional athletes being paid millions and a dci sideline reporter asking questions of young adults who pay to participate. And as you mentioned, the whole point, I assume, it to provide some human interest filler stories as a marketing angle. 

If so, every question asked should be of the goal: promote drum corps. Asking that question was about as off base and inappropriate as possible. He doesn't have to apologize to me though.

As mentioned by others, the interviews add no value to me. The same questions and the same answers, interestingly enough, just like sports interviews.

Eh, college athletes get tough questions sometimes. But we agree that Potter's function here is P.R. man, not reporter. And usually he's fine.

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Eh, college athletes get tough questions sometimes. But we agree that Potter's function here is P.R. man, not reporter. And usually he's fine.

Those college athletes all think they're going to be rich pro athletes soon. And they're all groomed to give the same boring answers as the pros.

Can we all agree that the sideline interviews can be done away with? If they do anything to fill the gaps between corps and during INT, maybe prerexorddd, true human interest stories about participants that have truly overcome obstacles to get to where they are? 

Too Olympics-y?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrk said:

Regardless of the question(s) asked or who asks them, my opinion remains unchanged: live, sideline interviews add no value to the show. 

I have to disagree. His interview with The Academy drum major and Phantom Regiment drum major bright tears to the eyes of many. His interview with the star Boston Crusaders color guard member was wonderful.  I think the interviews are fantastic - it really helps connect the audience with an individual member of this activity in the moment like no other. 

• Like 3