Semis interview question: Was it that bad?

35 minutes ago, chadwick said:

I have to disagree. His interview with The Academy drum major and Phantom Regiment drum major bright tears to the eyes of many. His interview with the star Boston Crusaders color guard member was wonderful.  I think the interviews are fantastic - it really helps connect the audience with an individual member of this activity in the moment like no other. 

Sadly it's the world we live in. You can do 99 good things and no one cares. You do one wrong thing and we want you to suffer till your dying breath. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Sadly it's the world we live in. You can do 99 good things and no one cares. You do one wrong thing and we want you to suffer till your dying breath. 

Or as I learned in1982, one “aw ####” wipes out one hundred “‘at a boys!” 

• Like 3

Potter owned his mistake. If this question was going to be raised at all he should have found a way to raise it with DCI leadership, not the DM of the corps who just accomplished a great thing!

8 hours ago, wackywords said:

There seems to be a lot of discussion about this on social media, but was it that Dan said the wrong thing? Or was it just a badly timed question?

Discuss

yes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

He asked the Spartans' DM "Should there be an asterisk next to your championship because BDB and SCVC did not compete this year?"

$50 to Spahtahns if they have an asterisk drill set next year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I am with you all the way. He apologized and if the Spartans are good with it, that's what should matter. But unfortunately we are in the age of the mob mentality and internet warrior. Everybody is tough hiding behind a computer screen when you don't have to worry about someone slapping the taste outta your mouth. Majority of those people don't have the guts to say that stuff to his face if presented with the opportunity. Same with Prosperie. 

i am glad he apologized, and yes he is sincere about it. But I'd have said the same things I have said online if I had seen him in person...that I was disappointed. That he has done and said what he's done since has erased that disappointment. But no need to talk about slapping the taste out of people's mouths...or you're just as bad as those you chastise

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am glad he apologized, and yes he is sincere about it. But I'd have said the same things I have said online if I had seen him in person...that I was disappointed. That he has done and said what he's done since has erased that disappointment. But no need to talk about slapping the taste out of people's mouths...or you're just as bad as those you chastise

Go back and read my post at your earliest convenience. Like i told the other poster earlier, i never said i would do it, i said "Someone" speaking in general.  As far as you telling Potter your disappointment in what he said, that's one thing, i can go with that. I am referring to the nasty people on other social media sites who was saying horrific hateful things about Potter and his family, things i do not wish to repeat and i **** sure know they wouldn't say to his face. That's the stuff i am referring too. I was disappointed as well when he said it. But as soon as i heard he apologized, it was water under the bridge, as we all make mistakes. Lord knows i make more mistakes than everyone on this forum combined. Hope that clears everything up. Have a good one brother. 

• Like 2

I’ve always wondered what the days after finals feel like to a DCI performer who “ticked” badly in their last show of the year. 

What does it feel like to be that soloist who has belted out a beautiful solo all summer long but, on finals night, she makes a sound like a chainsaw halfway through it?  Or, what goes on in the mind of the featured guard member who dropped his equipment right front of the camera, even though  he’s made that catch virtually every other time? 

Are those performers haunted by their mistake? Do they hope for forgiveness from the people they think they let down? Do they wish they could rewind the tape? 

Today, I think I know too well how it feels and the answer to all of the above questions is yes.

At semi-finals Friday afternoon, during a jumbo-tron interview with a drum major whose corps had just achieved a MAJOR accomplishment, I asked a question of that young man that should not have been asked. I will not repeat the question here, nor am I using the name of the corps, to spare them from further insult. 

I immediately knew I had asked the wrong question, at the wrong time, of the wrong person and certainly in the wrong place. 

For this I am truly sorry.

As soon as possible, I apologized to the young man both online and in person and, that corps’ director was kind enough to let me apologize, in person, to the entire corps before their encore performance later that day. 

Today, I’m saying I’m sorry to anyone else I may have hurt with that question. It certainly was not my intent to besmirch anyone’s accomplishment. But, that's what I did and I'm sorry.

Drum corps people are fond of saying, “It’s not whether you tick, it’s how you recover.” I hope DCI fans will accept my apology and watch to see how I recover.

Thanks for reading this.

Dan

This is from Dan Potter on Facebook

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, mrk said:

Regardless of the question(s) asked or who asks them, my opinion remains unchanged: live, sideline interviews add no value to the show. 

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, billj said:

Can we all agree that the sideline interviews can be done away with? If they do anything to fill the gaps between corps and during INT, maybe prerexorddd, true human interest stories about participants that have truly overcome obstacles to get to where they are? 

Too Olympics-y?

No, but maybe too much time/effort/expense to pursue those stories all over the globe.  The Olympics are covered by a worldwide sports/news broadcasting conglomerate, while DCI maybe has one guy (probably on a volunteer basis) trying to shed a little light on such stories while the people are present.

Pre-recorded human interest pieces could be done in better quality.  I think FloMarching does a little of that.  Maybe they should mix more of that kind of material in between corps, instead of repeating the same 10-second Rocket Mortgage commercial so many times that it causes PTSD.  Wonder if Dan Potter and FloMarching could work together on that?