Is anyone becoming bored w/the Avant Garde shows?

51 minutes ago, xandandl said:

exactly which is why giving "infallible" edicts as posts is fruitless and self-serving.

Now you've lost me 

Since nobody's done this yet, and I've tried being nice, waiting in vain for some other pedant, it's AVANT garde, thank you.

Now, to answer the question; As a four decade drum corps fan, I love when corps try to do something new, and unleash some deep meaning. As long as they have a loud hornline with a challenging book, smooth beats with lots of notes, and a guard that can spin, toss, and dance well, I'm good. Maybe I get what they're trying to say (I feel you, BK), maybe I don't (Not going to name names).

Edited by grenadasmoothie
  • Thanks 1

I'm not so much bored with Avant Garde shows as I am frustrated with designers thinking their notions (whether that's an abstract theme, a more concrete one, a fairly straightforward story, or my personal pet peeve, something that looks vaguely like a story of some kind) communicate far more clearly on the field than they actually do. Too often it feels like I'm watching a straight up contest of drum corps concept designers and how the judges happen to feel about their concepts rather than a competition of marching musicians and their performance qualities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, E3D said:

why change now?  The activity is going to die away soon anyway. 

It's been doing that slowly for 25+ years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

It's been doing that slowly for 25+ years.

And like global warming, it has accelerated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know it is not about the fans, but if we did not show up there would be a lot less $$$$.  What I would think would be cool one year would be for fans to come up with themes, take a poll - cull that number, and then the top 25 (or the number of WC corps) would pick a theme drawn out of hat.    Corps gets to pick the music to represent said theme.

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Forevergreen said:

I know it is not about the fans, but if we did not show up there would be a lot less $$$$.  What I would think would be cool one year would be for fans to come up with themes, take a poll - cull that number, and then the top 25 (or the number of WC corps) would pick a theme drawn out of hat.    Corps gets to pick the music to represent said theme.

While your idea is too radical to ever actually happen, I do agree that fans must be drawn into the direction of the activity. I have said many time here that fans should be given a 1-3 point sheet caption and vote on an app during shows. Fan reaction and opinion should count for something. I would 100% LOVE to see your idea used though!

• Like 1