Is anyone becoming bored w/the Avant Garde shows?

6 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I  was never bored with Avant Garde shows. They were a really good corps, back in the day. :thumbup:

You beat me to this response ######!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Now you've lost me 

Here's an appropriate response to you by another poster who also cautions that self-appointed "intellectuals" aren't always the infallible illuminati.

"I'm not Frank but I will give it a 'shot".

Listening to the shows for the top 4 - I believe he got the performance scores correct.

But telling someone else who is a member here at DCP:  their opinion is worthless and probably wrong is pretty naive, when it comes to peeps posting on a message board."

We Americans learned it in kindergarten this way:  "Self praise stinks." 

1 hour ago, mboogey73 said:

I try to keep a very basic approach to watching a drum corps show these days. I really don't care much about theme and all that.  I never read the little blurbs the corps' put out that "explain" the show.  I either like what I'm seeing and hearing, or I don't.  That's it.

this!  And any day of the week i will prefer an upbeat show that puts a smile on my face over something dark and brooding.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Here's an appropriate response to you by another poster who also cautions that self-appointed "intellectuals" aren't always the infallible illuminati.

"I'm not Frank but I will give it a 'shot".

Listening to the shows for the top 4 - I believe he got the performance scores correct.

But telling someone else who is a member here at DCP:  their opinion is worthless and probably wrong is pretty naive, when it comes to peeps posting on a message board."

We Americans learned it in kindergarten this way:  "Self praise stinks." 

Still don't get what you're getting at, but now I've lost interest. 

Just now, xandandl said:

You tend to do that whenever posters pop your balloon.

I'm Not sure what balloon has popped since you insist in speaking in riddles instead of just being up front 

I’m looking forward to the activity moving away from “ME ME ME ME MEEEE!!!!” shows featuring incredibly talented performers wearing eyeliner & purple hair like the what’s-their-name soccer player and “GRRRRRRR...!!!!” and 🤬 and then blowing the whole concept to hell with a jazz version of a heavy metal ballad that was filler on an album from 30 years ago that was “supposed” to illustrate the introspective reflections of present day rebellious urban teens. Or something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

If Bloo was cheese this year (Bloo Cheese?) then more cheese for me, please! because Bloo was really Gouda!

You know the thread has gone on too long when it degrates into cheesy puns. Everybody has a different opinion on this but in the end we'll just have to agree to disabrie. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, chris7997 said:

And what is up with this "cheese" argument?  As though EVERYTHING that  is not post modern is cheese? 

First of all, no body watches the Phantom or Fiddler show by SCV and says "Oh that's so cheesy."  They say, "That's bad a#$.  Awesome."  Yeah, some of the haircuts and helmets were cheesy, but it was the 80s?!  

We are in the ARTS people.  THE ARTS. I thought we valued diversity?  For the love of the Arts, can the top 3 or 4 corps mix it up a bit, please? Just one year? 

I don’t necessarily associate cheese = bad.  At the same time I love  to witness the creativity of one’s mind or even collaboration. The beauty in art is how it makes you think and feel as an individual.  Sometimes one creation resonates with a lot of us, sometimes only a few.  We will always have critics in the arts, but no one can take away your experience. I think we all can be guilty of trying that( to be critical of an opinion or taste) and not leaving it alone as someone’s opiinion. 

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 1