Is anyone becoming bored w/the Avant Garde shows?

It"s been referenced before: shows are becoming increasingly boiler plate..even though the talent is great , the predictability of what you MUST see regardless of theme and when you see it, makes the EXPERIENCE too predictable..Not that the music isn't challenging and not that the shows aren't done well, they are...the mm's kick ###..But if I see another AWAKENING from sleep, birth or death  with the hero/heroine eventually be hoisted high I think I'll puke..sometimes I get the feeling that the shows' gratuitous aspects are not unlike sex scenes in R rated movies...anyway all the above is IMHO..peace

• Like 3

A wise man once said to a staff:

" if you have to spend your entire portion of critique with me to explain your show, you over designed". And the successful corps are now making it so many fans can get it without research into deep meanings and musical selections, people who get into doing some digging get it, and the uber nerds who research the actual source music scores and books/poems/stories/etc can get it.

I mean who in the hell really knew Felini in 2014? I knew the name. Did a little bit of digging. loved the show. A good friend did zero research and loved the show. neither one of us, even with digging in 08-13 could get what BD was offering.

16 minutes ago, Lance said:

corps should all have french titles for their shows next year, just to really mess with the people who think marching band ever needs words like esoteric or avant-garde applied to it. 

Esoteric is french?  Je ne pense pas!  Avant-garde is though.  But then, french is passé, n'est-ce pas?  Except for gourmet cuisine, bien sûr.🤨

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, Cappybara said:

Nope, I LOVE it. I'm tired of cheese. 

What shows had cheese in your opinion in 2019? 

2 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Esoteric is french?  Je ne pense pas!  Avant-garde is though.  But then, french is passé, n'est-ce pas?  Except for gourmet cuisine, bien sûr.🤨

Pffft!! Sacre Bloo!!

• Like 1

Can’t we all just agree that this year probably had the best top 12 in a long time? In the few years that I’ve been a fan of DCI, I’ve only really enjoyed maybe 3-5 shows per year. This year, almost all of the top 12 had amazing moments in their shows, if not completely amazing shows. And there were tons of corps outside of finals that did too.

Were some corps’ themes a little esoteric? Yes (BD, Crown, BK). But there were also some pretty easy to grasp concepts (Bloo, Boston, Cavies, Blue Stars, etc). And even if you prefer one type of show more than the other, it’s hard to say that any show this year was poorly designed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Can’t we all just agree that this year probably had the best top 12 in a long time? In the few years that I’ve been a fan of DCI, I’ve only really enjoyed maybe 3-5 shows per year. This year, almost all of the top 12 had amazing moments in their shows, if not completely amazing shows. And there were tons of corps outside of finals that did too.

Were some corps’ themes a little esoteric? Yes (BD, Crown, BK). But there were also some pretty easy to grasp concepts (Bloo, Boston, Cavies, Blue Stars, etc). And even if you prefer one type of show more than the other, it’s hard to say that any show this year was poorly designed.

We had tremendous performances and probably historic performance levels, but show concepts and visual in general was slightly above average IMO.

I'm tired of the ANGRY, DARK shows. Not musically, but the theatrics. Kids in costumes (or band uniforms before that) stomping around, yelling, trying to look scary and intimidating, like they're monsters in Where the Wild Things Are, is alway cringeworthy. Adding drums or a euphonium doesn't help. One of the reasons I didn't like Cadets 2011

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

I'm tired of the ANGRY, DARK shows. Not musically, but the theatrics. Kids in costumes (or band uniforms before that) stomping around, yelling, trying to look scary and intimidating, like they're monsters in Where the Wild Things Are, is alway cringeworthy. Adding drums or a euphonium doesn't help. One of the reasons I didn't like Cadets 2011

Cadets 2011 did it right. It was fun and done effectively. Most of the rest of it is silly.

• Like 2