chris7997

Is anyone becoming bored w/the Avant Garde shows?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

There have been many shows that were so good musically,visually and paced well that people didn't care what the message was. Signs of good design as well as musically and visually stimulating

I enjoy shows like that... ones where I don't need to know a theme, or its "deeper meaning" (whatever that is...LOL)...  but where I can  just sit back and like it at face value.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a fun game to play with non-drum corps fans:

Have them watch a show, mute the TV during the into

 and have them guess the theme of the show.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

So Avante Garde shows will make us feel smart?  Even if no one understands them because the "theme" isn't really aligned with the musical production?  I felt there were many examples of "literal" presentations this year.  By your description of cheese, would Bluecoats fall into that category?  If so, then it was Beatles cheese from beginning to end.  But we all liked it.  Being totally committed to Avante Garde may cause a corps to move away from audience engagement.  As for me I am happy to watch an audience friendly program.  Entertain me.  A little cheese with incredible playing and marching and guard work is good for me.  

There is a very, VERY fine line between cheese and a simple yet effective program. In my opinion, Bluecoats found that perfect balance in 2014-2018, and veered too far into the cheese category in 2012-2013 and 2019. (And no, not EVERYONE liked it, just to be pedantic). 

And yes, there were many examples of literal presentations this year, you likely will not find them in my "favorite shows of the year" list in my signature. Just not my cup of tea. 

And no, you'd be hard pressed to call Cavies' show this year "literal" but you definitely did not see them "move away from audience engagement." Neither did the blue devils this year. 

And that is good for you, your palate is certainly not mine and that's what makes us human 🙂 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cappybara said:

There is a very, VERY fine line between cheese and a simple yet effective program. In my opinion, Bluecoats found that perfect balance in 2014-2018, and veered too far into the cheese category in 2012-2013 and 2019. (And no, not EVERYONE liked it, just to be pedantic). 

And yes, there were many examples of literal presentations this year, you likely will not find them in my "favorite shows of the year" list in my signature. Just not my cup of tea. 

And no, you'd be hard pressed to call Cavies' show this year "literal" but you definitely did not see them "move away from audience engagement." Neither did the blue devils this year. 

And that is good for you, your palate is certainly not mine and that's what makes us human 🙂 

and saying one is intellectual or prefers intellectual and actually being intellectual are not automatically equal, particularly since no one can agree what "intellectual" is. Oxford has always disagreed with Cambridge, Harvard with Yale. Medical folks think they own the rank "Doctor" while Ph.D.'s find many "Doctors" rank. Sometimes "simple" is actually more profound than complex. Stare at the starry sky some dark night to get what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and saying one is intellectual or prefers intellectual and actually being intellectual are not automatically equal, particularly since no one can agree what "intellectual" is. Oxford has always disagreed with Cambridge, Harvard with Yale. Medical folks think they own the rank "Doctor" while Ph.D.'s find many "Doctors" rank. Sometimes "simple" is actually more profound than complex. Stare at the starry sky some dark night to get what I mean.

Not to get too philosophical but isn't all of this relative to the person viewing and how they process and perceive the show? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cappybara said:

Not to get too philosophical but isn't all of this relative to the person viewing and how they process and perceive the show? 

exactly which is why giving "infallible" edicts as posts is fruitless and self-serving.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I often wonder how Machine would be received today.

I know how I would receive it. YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I enjoy shows like that... ones where I don't need to know a theme, or its "deeper meaning" (whatever that is...LOL)...  but where I can  just sit back and like it at face value.

Or even care what it is because everything else was so good

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Or even care what it is because everything else was so good

Absolutely.

In 2006, I didn't recognize a single note of the music in Crown's "In.Trance.It" program, and had no idea about the theme. But I really enjoyed that show!!!  Their horn line was terrific, and the corps' overall performance sold it for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, deftguy said:

I know how I would receive it. YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!

Same here!

My all-time favorite Cavies show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.