Is anyone becoming bored w/the Avant Garde shows?

No less than four finalist corps had someone die on the field.  Does it require someone to die for the show to be considered successful? The top four were successful without having someone die in the performance.

How dark (Avante Guard) is too dark?  A good question.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

It really would be nice to have variety back in drum corps! Why should corps stick with the same type of music? It's only for the designers ego anyways. MM's don't get a say yet they shell out the thousands of dollars. If I were a kid this year I would march Bluecoats just for the music!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lance said:

it's just marching band

Which explains the problem. "it's" Stopped being Drum Corps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

I  was never bored with Avant Garde shows. They were a really good corps, back in the day. :thumbup:

I was wondering when someone would get around to this.  LOL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Nope, I LOVE it. I'm tired of cheese. Literal shows make me feel like the corps thinks I'm stupid 

Fair enough.  So the avante garde shows are about making you feel inteligent?  

Does all non-avant guard have to be cheese? 

Edited by chris7997

Let me put it this way...say you go to your favorite local orchestra or a national philharmonic orchestra...and that orchestra decided one day to play only postmodern composers EVERY SINGLE YEAR...and they did this for more than a decade...No body would say, "Just figure it out man. We don't need cheese from the old days."  You would say, how about Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart...some jazz numbers with Duke Ellington, some African spirituals, some Broadway, etc. etc.  

Or how about this...you go to your favorite local modern movie theater, but they decide from now for another 10 years to only play apocalyptic futurist movies.  That's it. Just apocalyptic movies...for more than a decade...wouldn't you be a little bored?  

So if you wouldn't be willing to put up with lack of diversity in your local orchestra or local movie theater...then why are you putting up with it from your favorite top drum corps year after year after year...? 

Edited by chris7997
  • Like 1

And what is up with this "cheese" argument?  As though EVERYTHING that  is not post modern is cheese? 

First of all, no body watches the Phantom or Fiddler show by SCV and says "Oh that's so cheesy."  They say, "That's bad a#$.  Awesome."  Yeah, some of the haircuts and helmets were cheesy, but it was the 80s?!  

We are in the ARTS people.  THE ARTS. I thought we valued diversity?  For the love of the Arts, can the top 3 or 4 corps mix it up a bit, please? Just one year? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chris7997 said:

Fair enough.  So the avante garde shows are about making you feel inteligent?  

Does all non-avant guard have to be cheese? 

As I stated in another post, it isn't black and white. There's a very fine line between cheese and "simple but effective concept

The example I gave for that was that Bloo 14-18 did a great job of keeping it simple and audience friendly but still very effective. Conceptually those are some of my favorite shows this decade. This year, in my opinion, they veered too far into the cheese side of things. 

And no, just because one thing make me feel stupid (or annoyed, as some concepts and their execution are just dumb as heck like Cadets 2010) doesn't mean that the reverse makes me feel smart. In fact, the reverse simply engages me more 

I try to keep a very basic approach to watching a drum corps show these days. I really don't care much about theme and all that.  I never read the little blurbs the corps' put out that "explain" the show.  I either like what I'm seeing and hearing, or I don't.  That's it.

• Like 6