Is anyone becoming bored w/the Avant Garde shows?

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

You know the thread has gone on too long when it degrates into cheesy puns. Everybody has a different opinion on this but in the end we'll just have to agree to disabrie. 

Yeah? Cheesy puns? Well, FONDue!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

I'll say it even though there will be an attack on me BUT......

How about corps executive directors say "Enough of your freaking ego's and write an exciting, fan-friendly show, where we entertain the PAYING customer and NOT worry about making the judges happy!" Vince Bruni did it best as director of the Empire Statesmen, play music that the fans know and can relate too! As a music educator I am in awe of the talent out there today. I know the old school people hate what is happening and there are some like me who appreciate the advances in corps today. That being said, there was only ONE show that made me happy so thank you Bluecoats! How about 2020 ALL corps make the paying customer happy!!! If the fans don't come then what?

Okay so now attack....see my name is there for all to see and not hiding behind a fake name!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

How about corps executive directors say "Enough of your freaking ego's and write an exciting, fan-friendly show, where we entertain the PAYING customer and NOT worry about making the judges happy!" Vince Bruni did it best as director of the Empire Statesmen, play music that the fans know and can relate too! As a music educator I am in awe of the talent out there today. I know the old school people hate what is happening and there are some like me who appreciate the advances in corps today. That being said, there was only ONE show that made me happy so thank you Bluecoats! How about 2020 ALL corps make the paying customer happy!!! If the fans don't come then what?

Okay so now attack....see my name is there for all to see and not hiding behind a fake name!

Agreed! Absolutely loved the 2019 Bluecoats. Kudos to their amazing show designers!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRacer said:

I’m looking forward to the activity moving away from “ME ME ME ME MEEEE!!!!” shows featuring incredibly talented performers wearing eyeliner & purple hair like the what’s-their-name soccer player and “GRRRRRRR...!!!!” and 🤬 and then blowing the whole concept to hell with a jazz version of a heavy metal ballad that was filler on an album from 30 years ago that was “supposed” to illustrate the introspective reflections of present day rebellious urban teens. Or something. 

Megan Rapinoe is awesome 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, chris7997 said:

Let me put it this way...say you go to your favorite local orchestra or a national philharmonic orchestra...and that orchestra decided one day to play only postmodern composers EVERY SINGLE YEAR...and they did this for more than a decade...No body would say, "Just figure it out man. We don't need cheese from the old days."  You would say, how about Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart...some jazz numbers with Duke Ellington, some African spirituals, some Broadway, etc. etc.  

Or how about this...you go to your favorite local modern movie theater, but they decide from now for another 10 years to only play apocalyptic futurist movies.  That's it. Just apocalyptic movies...for more than a decade...wouldn't you be a little bored?  

So if you wouldn't be willing to put up with lack of diversity in your local orchestra or local movie theater...then why are you putting up with it from your favorite top drum corps year after year after year...? 

Bluecoats played the Beatles, and last year did a jazz show.  Boston gave us Rocky and Tears for Fears.  Bridge over Troubled Water was featured by two WC corps.  Phantom Regiment featured classical music.  Admittedly, we do not have full and balanced variety in music selections... but it is not as bad as you suggest.

I am more bothered by aspects where variety has been extinguished.  Like how every show must have either props or tarps littering the field.  Every solo must be into a mic.  Every corps must do less organized drill in favor of more scatter, standstill, body contortion, and prop climbing.

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Bluecoats played the Beatles, and last year did a jazz show.  Boston gave us Rocky and Tears for Fears.  Bridge over Troubled Water was featured by two WC corps.  Phantom Regiment featured classical music.  Admittedly, we do not have full and balanced variety in music selections... but it is not as bad as you suggest.

I am more bothered by aspects where variety has been extinguished.  Like how every show must have either props or tarps littering the field.  Every solo must be into a mic.  Every corps must do less organized drill in favor of more scatter, standstill, body contortion, and prop climbing.

I do agree. These things have become almost compulsory.

• Like 2

Wonder, if execution was being judged, if scores would be as high as they are today!

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I find the "play music the audience is familiar with!" trope to be kinda silly. 

I do agree corps should be more melodic, but why do these melodies have to be familiar ones? What I really love about DCI is that it has introduced me to so much new music and literature that I wouldn't have discovered without it. I have a running list of my favorite pieces over the years on my Spotify 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Wonder, if execution was being judged, if scores would be as high as they are today!

I am confused by your question.  Execution (i.e. performance) is still being judged.

If you meant a deduct-for-mistakes form of execution judging, then clearly, scores would not be as high as they are in a 100% buildup system where judges so commonly give 9.8, 9.9 or 10.0 as top scores at finals.