What makes The Blue Devils "great," rather than just "good"?

A few years back, I finally got the chance to catch one of BD's rehearsals, before DCI East.

A friend with ties to the organization had told me he had never seen a corps who rehearsed better... efficient, effective, with a positive, business-like, relaxed type of vibe. And not one second wasted.

He was right.

Today's corps rehearse better than ever... certainly better than the old days, when a lot more time was wasted. But, for me, BD tops the "how to get it done at rehearsal" list.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

And a provocative question:  IS at least SOME of this success because of the Blue Devils reputation, history, and mystic as a power-house corps or NOT? The mystic of being "The Blue Devils" from the West Coast who are now 19-times champions?

669full-mystique-(rebecca-romijn).jpg

• Haha 2

I second everything that has been said but also just how great they treat their members during the course of the season. Plenty of rest days, ample floor time, good food (so I've heard), professional environment. Who wouldn't want to come march for a corps that takes care of its own so well? 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, ironlips said:

Ghost has seen the light:

Excellent Management + Superb Staff + Focused Philosophy = Success (to the 19th power)

This formula is not a secret. Others have used it with good results.

Just drawing this out ... but other corps have great staffs...what is it about the Blue Devils staff that makes them a cut above other staffs? 

Other corps have excellent management...what about the Blue Devils management makes it a cut above? 

9 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Just drawing this out ... but other corps have great staffs...what is it about the Blue Devils staff that makes them a cut above other staffs? 

Other corps have excellent management...what about the Blue Devils management makes it a cut above? 

Along the lines of what Derek005 said... I think continuity is at least one factor. 

• Like 2

I put this in another thread. However, I thought it should belong here as well.  Blue Devils = Class as well.

I want to say thank you to the Blue Devils organization.  Over the past several years, it has been my privilege to host the corps. Yesterday, while my daughter was out in San Francisco, she ran into someone affiliated with the organization.  After a brief conversation, this person realized she was my daughter and bought her lunch in thanks for my hosting the corps.

Even outside the season, the corps always represents with the class that is Blue Devils.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 7

Previous posts have hit all the main factors.

Staff continuity on and off the field.  Destination corps leads to top talent.  BD gets members from every other corps, almost no one leaves BD to go somewhere else.  Cappy hit on a key point I can attest to personally, and it's the quality of the tour experience.  First rate all the way and they treat members like adults.  Some corps run their kids into the ground.    

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 7

On 8/14/2019 at 8:59 AM, kkrepps said:

They get Frosted Flakes for breakfast.

Bingo!