Recommended Posts

The front sideline boundary is an obsolete anachronism given today's show designs and audience expectations. Let performers go right into the crowd if the writers wish it.

Banish all those folks milling around downstage between the field and the viewers, be they photographers, judges, videographers, staff members or other sideline lurkers. This is show-biz. You wouldn't see that on Broadway, in the concert hall or any other professional venue, including the World Wrestling Federation, to which parallels could be drawn to the activity in question.

Actual quote from a Rules Congress debate regarding corps entering over the back sideline:

Opponent: "But if we give you that, pretty soon you will want the whole field."

Bobby Hoffman: "Hell, I want the whole stadium!"

It may be time for that.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I think DCI starts to venture into a new Medium, as a performance Entertainment entity, I think this is a great tool for an emmersive experience...

The issue I see that may arise is that not every performance venue is the same. Some have direct access to the field, others have a 8 foot concrete wall with no direct field Access at the Front sidleine and need to take a different path to get to the stands...

It might be cool to have some predetermined stages within the stands for LOS that the Corps have access to for Finals week to use, but that would be a logistical maze for them to have to navigate.. which might restrict this from ultimately happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ironlips said:

The front sideline boundary is an obsolete anachronism given today's show designs and audience expectations. Let performers go right into the crowd if the writers wish it.

Banish all those folks milling around downstage between the field and the viewers, be they photographers, judges, videographers, staff members or other sideline lurkers. This is show-biz. You wouldn't see that on Broadway, in the concert hall or any other professional venue, including the World Wrestling Federation, to which parallels could be drawn to the activity in question.

Actual quote from a Rules Congress debate regarding corps entering over the back sideline:

Opponent: "But if we give you that, pretty soon you will want the whole field."

Bobby Hoffman: "Hell, I want the whole stadium!"

It may be time for that.

Sure why not. 

It's not any different than the other rules that have been just made up. 

Get rid of all the rules and let the "groups"  do exhibitions. No more silly a@@ judges etc. perfect. 

 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

 It might be cool to have some predetermined stages within the stands for LOS that the Corps have access to for Finals week to use, but that would be a logistical maze for them to have to navigate.. which might restrict this from ultimately happening. 

If DCI eventually allows mm to get into the stands, similar to Blast with the flags in their closer, you'd have to sell ear plugs for the fans.  But, there are the Jim & Teri fans out their who would not use ear plugs and would have on the biggest smiles while their ear drums would be taking a big hit.

I could see a corps using hydraulic lifts spaced out in front of the wall/stands that would raise up groups of brass.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If DCI eventually allows mm to get into the stands, similar to Blast with the flags in their closer, you'd have to sell ear plugs for the fans.  But, there are the Jim & Teri fans out their who would not use ear plugs and would have on the biggest smiles while their ear drums would be taking a big hit.

I could see a corps using hydraulic lifts spaced out in front of the wall/stands that would raise up groups of brass.

 

Lifts were done as far back as the mid 80s in WGI certainly was cool

Edited by GUARDLING

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If DCI eventually allows mm to get into the stands, similar to Blast with the flags in their closer, you'd have to sell ear plugs for the fans.  But, there are the Jim & Teri fans out their who would not use ear plugs and would have on the biggest smiles while their ear drums would be taking a big hit.

I could see a corps using hydraulic lifts spaced out in front of the wall/stands that would raise up groups of brass.

Bring it on.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ironlips said:

The front sideline boundary is an obsolete anachronism given today's show designs and audience expectations. Let performers go right into the crowd if the writers wish it.

Banish all those folks milling around downstage between the field and the viewers, be they photographers, judges, videographers, staff members or other sideline lurkers. This is show-biz. You wouldn't see that on Broadway, in the concert hall or any other professional venue, including the World Wrestling Federation, to which parallels could be drawn to the activity in question.

Actual quote from a Rules Congress debate regarding corps entering over the back sideline:

Opponent: "But if we give you that, pretty soon you will want the whole field."

Bobby Hoffman: "Hell, I want the whole stadium!"

It may be time for that.

Sometime in the 1990s,  I asked Vince Bruni why his corps (DCA's Empire Statesmen) were basically the only DCA corps (and one of only a few, if any overall, counting the DCI side) who staged their front ensemble on the field, allowing the field performers (brass, battery, color guard) to go in and out of the "pit box" up front.  He replied, "They're giving us a free five yards closer to the audience. Why not use it?"

Frank, I agree with you. If logistics at the various venues can be worked out... go for it. Use as much of the venue as possible.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not every stadium has the same dimensions once you're off the field.  Some have tracks, some have brick walls, most have little to no access to crowd seating, and none of it is standardized.  At least with the field, you know what you're getting every time.  Not to mention besides the staff and associated hangers on right now, you have recording equipment, sound boards, generators, a ton of power cables, announcer's table in some cases...

Mike
Associated Hanger On

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never forget...

Image result for jersey surf 2004

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.