Game of Cones

6 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Not every stadium has the same dimensions once you're off the field.  Some have tracks, some have brick walls, most have little to no access to crowd seating, and none of it is standardized.  At least with the field, you know what you're getting every time.  Not to mention besides the staff and associated hangers on right now, you have recording equipment, sound boards, generators, a ton of power cables, announcer's table in some cases...

Mike
Associated Hanger On

Heh... for several years the microphone for the DCA Clifton show was wired at field level, and my table was right in front of the pit box area. I would find myself surrounded by members of the Skyliners Alumni corps who did an exhibition there, when their members walked up,  over the front sideline, for their finale.  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Sometime in the 1990s,  I asked Vince Bruni why his corps (DCA's Empire Statesmen) were basically the only DCA corps (and one of only a few, if any overall, counting the DCI side) who staged their front ensemble on the field, allowing the field performers (brass, battery, color guard) to go in and out of the "pit box" up front.  He replied, "They're giving us a free five yards closer to the audience. Why not use it?"

Frank, I agree with you. If logistics at the various venues can be worked out... go for it. Use as much of the venue as possible.

Crown did this to a lesser extent this year by staging their pit diagonally and mostly on the field. They did bring the brass up closer and use that space in a few instances. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Not every stadium has the same dimensions once you're off the field.  Some have tracks, some have brick walls, most have little to no access to crowd seating, and none of it is standardized.  At least with the field, you know what you're getting every time.  Not to mention besides the staff and associated hangers on right now, you have recording equipment, sound boards, generators, a ton of power cables, announcer's table in some cases...

Mike
Associated Hanger On

As much as I love the spirit of the OP's idea, this is the correct response. Too much variability between stadiums.

22 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Never forget...

Image result for jersey surf 2004

Take the penalty lol... 

IIRC back in the 80s Rochester Crusaders ended their show by leaving via right end zone and trooping the stands on the track while playing. Never did find out how that was judged. Think song was “School Days”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

55 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The issue I see that may arise is that not every performance venue is the same. Some have direct access to the field, others have a 8 foot concrete wall with no direct field Access at the Front sidleine and need to take a different path to get to the stands...

DCI should have its own touring stadium so every venue is the same.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I know you prob meant this in Jest. But Cirque is a traveling Circus.. 

if instead of paying for Football stadiums they built their own stage and traveled around the country they could just rent Fairgrounds and build their own standardized performance venues around the country.. 

Maybe not soon maybe one day this might be an option on the table.. Nobody uses the full 100 Yards anyways.. 

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Or try to schedule shows in the MLS stadiums around the country.  Pretty similar, no tracks, and some have over hanging roofs.  Heck, the pitch is just about up against the stands.

Oh, my. When does more become too much?   I’m all for innovation, new ideas, and new tools. But, geez, not sure I want to hear . . .

“ Why can’t the performers in the aisle throw Hershey Kisses into the crowd?”

8 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Oh, my. When does more become too much?   I’m all for innovation, new ideas, and new tools. But, geez, not sure I want to hear . . .

“ Why can’t the performers in the aisle throw Hershey Kisses into the crowd?”

Was at a Christmas Party (in Hershey no less) when Santa came in throwing Kisses. Cold night and they had been in Santa’s car trunk. 2 broken water glasses later....

as for different stadiums had that in mid 70s with smaller RCA venues. Threw off entering field from back sideline so judges decided hoe to judge it before the show. Think had York had no execution judging for so many seconds to let corps get totally on the field