Game of Cones

I suspect "Fairgrounds" also has regional-specific connotations, not to mention the obstacles created by lack of parking and standard access for equipment vehicles.  I do not think DCI is ever going to get out of the "AAU for Marching Band" business.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

seating at Fairgrounds varies place to place. I can tell you the seating at Bloomsburg isnt the same as York.

My idea would be an actual traveling tent with seating included inside of the tent.. Similar to what the Traveling Cirque shows do but on a slightly larger scale.. All they would need to rent from the places are a nice open space for parking, both spectators and corps and the space for the corps to warmup.

I wish VK were still doing shows. 

They could do the opposite. have the show all compact - between the 40's EVERYTHING.

Micro Dome. 

then play all goooooooooooooooooooooo all the time but only when standing still. No music during drill. Perfect "back to the band"

On 8/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, Ghost said:

But, there are the Jim & Teri fans out their who would not use ear plugs and would have on the biggest smiles while their ear drums would be taking a big hit.

As they say......If it's too loud, then you're too old!

Fortunately for me, we didn't really wear ear plugs in the battery in the late 80's and early 90's so I can't hear a #### thing anyways. 

On 8/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, Fran Haring said:

I remember that!!! At one show where we saw them, they tossed Frisbees into the crowd. They had a fun program that year.

I still wish Renegades had listened to my comment in 2005 (I think I said it to Kelly when we did LMS) and thrown baby dolls into the audience in hopes that they would be thrown back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, garfield said:

Wait, if performers with earbuds cross in front of the speaker arrays, won’t their heads explode from the feedback?

Only if there's a bass drop happening at the same time. Then we would have to hear Jeff say "See! I told you ######## that bass drops were gonna kill someone!"

On 8/15/2019 at 11:05 AM, Glenn426 said:

My point is that they use the 100 yards but more to create space and depth.

The bulk of the playing and ensemble moments happen within a 50 yard space on the front sideline. Groups rarely play spread out 100 yards anymore because of the timing difficulty and the placement of the mics to spread their sound to the goal lines.

My hypothetical idea was that DCI turned into a traveling circus, where they set up their own performance stage around the country and did not need to use Football stadiums anymore, They instead rent out Fairgrounds around the country and have a standardized Performance venue everywhere they go, Where soloist stages within the crowd are possible because the stage is the same everywhere they go. Where lighting effects and sound effects are possible... 

They could perform in a 360 environment where the sound is distributed evenly all around the stage and they performance floor is immersive, Similar to the Beatles ONE show or Lion King in Disney World.

I know some of your heads might have exploded, but I am always looking for whats next, and the idea that DCI corps are not Doing Marching Band shows anymore and are in search of elevating their production Value to Professional Heights has gotten me thinking of whats on the horizon and how DCI can improve the entertainment factor as it searches for new ways to drive up interest ($$$$) and compete for our Entertainment dollars against the likes of Broadway, Netflix and Professional Sports.

I think this, and the OP's first thought of unrestricting the sidelines are worthy forward thoughts.  I love and live by "Sounds Crazy - Might Work".

However, it appears that, with a small exception or two, DCI's efforts are squarely focused on their primary constituency:  middle and high school musicians and performers.  It appears they are aligning with WGI-ish and BOA/USBANDS-ish performance styles and design, and cross-teaching and cross-judging across all idioms of "Performance Music".  

"Big $$$", as you call it, won't come to DCI until they can find a way to market the activity not on the backs of the performer's and their audition/tour fees.  And my personal opinion is that the world is mostly not interested in this marching band thing, anyway.