(6) Kingston, NY 8/3       

(7) St. Peter, MN 8/3     

(8) Peckville, PA 7/27    

(9) Pataskala, OH 7/20  

Edited by MJVMusic
Updated for 8/25 scores
  • Thanks 2

until the final weekend, it'll be all over the map

The top five on that Open list are in Woodbridge, and Gold has its show in Carolina this weekend.

Perhaps we'll see a 90 or two in Woodbridge?

And I would think CV's score will take a big jump at their show the weekend before Williamsport.

All pure speculation on my part, of course.  LOL.

• Haha 1

Some of the corps in that 4-8 area are starting to separate out a bit, but everyone from 1-10 has something to go for, which is a good thing. Throw a blanket over 1-3 in A as well. All three have very distinct approaches and are quite different from the other, it should make for a good Championship weekend to see how that shakes out.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, Fran Haring said:

The top five on that Open list are in Woodbridge, and Gold has its show in Carolina this weekend.

Perhaps we'll see a 90 or two in Woodbridge?

And I would think CV's score will take a big jump at their show the weekend before Williamsport.

All pure speculation on my part, of course.  LOL.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the CV score at the last regular season show.  Folks are making a big deal about the fact that CV will have no head to head matchup with Reading prior to finals.  But they may have an even better strategy of ensuring the last score of the season.  Look at how well it worked for Minnesota in 2011.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VOReason said:

I absolutely agree with you regarding the CV score at the last regular season show.  Folks are making a big deal about the fact that CV will have no head to head matchup with Reading prior to finals.  But they may have an even better strategy of ensuring the last score of the season.  Look at how well it worked for Minnesota in 2011.

I think it's a good thing in some ways. As a vet, it drove me nuts how few shows we did in prep for finals. As a spectator, not as much. It's going to be good to see them before finals. They were pretty dirty in Atlanta quite honestly. Then again, we weren't ever super clean in Atlanta when I marched......I just forget that sometimes. The avant-garde nature of the last few shows is taking some getting used to, but they're doing an excellent job at settling into keeping up with the times. 

I'll say the same thing I said before to some of the other alums:

1. Percussion is super-strong and well written. Atlanta was not their best show. Some of the newer folks seemed to have some issues with the dome and it caused some fuzzy moments. 

2. Guard looked good though a little spread out at times. Whoever is designing the outfits and the silks for CV is REALLY good. 

3. Brass sounds good though I feel like there were some tuning issues in the middle range in Atlanta. Maybe it was just the dome. I don't know how that works with horns quite frankly. 

4. I feel about CV the way I felt about PR this past season. The big impact moments sound fantastic. The brass hit at the beginning of the show is high energy and made me stand up. The hit at the ballad made me stand up and the final hit made me stand up. Most of what was in the middle felt a little disjointed. I didn't connect with the music as much as I usually do. Again, probably me. They're still an amazing corps and I'm proud to be a vet.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:40 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think it's a good thing in some ways. As a vet, it drove me nuts how few shows we did in prep for finals. As a spectator, not as much. It's going to be good to see them before finals. They were pretty dirty in Atlanta quite honestly. Then again, we weren't ever super clean in Atlanta when I marched......I just forget that sometimes. The avant-garde nature of the last few shows is taking some getting used to, but they're doing an excellent job at settling into keeping up with the times. 

I'll say the same thing I said before to some of the other alums:

1. Percussion is super-strong and well written. Atlanta was not their best show. Some of the newer folks seemed to have some issues with the dome and it caused some fuzzy moments. 

2. Guard looked good though a little spread out at times. Whoever is designing the outfits and the silks for CV is REALLY good. 

3. Brass sounds good though I feel like there were some tuning issues in the middle range in Atlanta. Maybe it was just the dome. I don't know how that works with horns quite frankly. 

4. I feel about CV the way I felt about PR this past season. The big impact moments sound fantastic. The brass hit at the beginning of the show is high energy and made me stand up. The hit at the ballad made me stand up and the final hit made me stand up. Most of what was in the middle felt a little disjointed. I didn't connect with the music as much as I usually do. Again, probably me. They're still an amazing corps and I'm proud to be a vet.

Ever since I saw them at a Hershey contest way way BITD, I've always liked CV and appreciated them greatly. Never felt I saw a bad performance or one where I thought, Gawd, I don't care to see that thing again. I'd say since "Rhythmos" they've really taken things to a much higher level and are out for the kill. I wouldn't discount CV, period.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Ever since I saw them at a Hershey contest way way BITD, I've always liked CV and appreciated them greatly. Never felt I saw a bad performance or one where I thought, Gawd, I don't care to see that thing again. I'd say since "Rhythmos" they've really taken things to a much higher level and are out for the kill. I wouldn't discount CV, period.

Oh I wouldn't either. I would say for me, it's a case of REALLY wanting them to win. It's easier to see from the outside than it ever was from the inside. As a vet of the corps, I'm probably over critical because I want to see them win. Long gone are the days of "We finish 9th so you don't have to."

Updated with scores from Woodbridge, NJ and Goldsboro, NC