Shows to beat BD since 2008

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

As much as I love and respect Down Side Up, I think Angels & Demons may be the best drum corps show ever put on a football field.

No doubt. If we are talking some of the greatest shows of all time, I know Cadets 2011 will get some love, for sure. The show is a design beast, and the corps was pretty proficient in performance captions as well. Maybe not quite as clean as BD that year, but they had the GE. The only reason I put Down Side Up at no. 1 is because of what it has meant to the current activity and design. Of those 5 shows, DSU is likely one of the dirtier championship shows. Phantom was also not quite cleaned up. From a standpoint of design, performance, and entertainment, it's pretty tough to beat the Cadets 2011. Crown was similar as well. If you're just looking at performance captions alone, I'd say Santa Clara 2018 was the strongest. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt. If we are talking some of the greatest shows of all time, I know Cadets 2011 will get some love, for sure. The show is a design beast, and the corps was pretty proficient in performance captions as well. Maybe not quite as clean as BD that year, but they had the GE. The only reason I put Down Side Up at no. 1 is because of what it has meant to the current activity and design. Of those 5 shows, DSU is likely one of the dirtier championship shows. Phantom was also not quite cleaned up. From a standpoint of design, performance, and entertainment, it's pretty tough to beat the Cadets 2011. Crown was similar as well. If you're just looking at performance captions alone, I'd say Santa Clara 2018 was the strongest. 

Bluecoats is likely never going to major on the traditional definition of clean.

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Warm-up violation at Prelims. BD ended up finishing 4th that night when they would have finished 2nd due to the Cadets and Bluecoats being very close behind.

Oh I thought you meant Finals.

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

This isnt my list of favorites, but rather a ranking of how "great" these shows were in terms of concept and performer execution:

1. Cadets 2011 

2. Carolina Crown 2013 

3. SCV 2018

4. Phantom Regiment 2008

5. Bluecoats 2016

I mostly agree with this. Could arguably flip any of the top 3 ... all three of those shows were clear winners. PR and Bloo didn't dominate performance captions as much, but had enough GE (Bloo 2016 more so ... I personally thought BD had a better performance on finals night, but that's just me.)

In terms of personal enjoyment:

1. Bloo 2016 - Just a breath of fresh air ... fun, relaxed, inviting, Pink Floyd. It's been a while since I've watched it so I'm not sure if it holds up, but I think that show is the best thing to happen to the activity in a long time. It's ok to be fun.

2. Cadets 2011 - It's so weird to see a Cadets show that's so clear and simple in design, but still high velocity and emotional. So many great moments ... no cringeworthy moments (something I always have with GH era Cadets shows).

3. SCV 2018 - I was originally going to put Crown here, but this show is so visually captivating. I've seen this one the least out of five, so I feel like there's more to be discovered.

4. Crown 2013 - Mainly down here because of the ballad narration. Otherwise, it's my favorite opening statement in drum corps.

5. PR 2008 - The mid-00s were a mostly dumb, boring, risk-averse era. I love that this show threw a kitchen sink at it all and changed the activity for the better. I only have it at #5 because I know a ton of people who marched this show ... and I'm jealous as hell that they have rings and I don't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

4. Carolina Crown 2013- I was at finals in 2012 I could feel crown was on the brink of something great. The brass book in this show was unbelievable (OOTW was crazier, IMO), and it is definitely a WOW show all around. It gets 4th because with nit picking I can find at least one thing I like better in other Crown 2011-2015 shows. I also don't see what changes it brought to the activity. Was it the best show in 2013? most definitely. Was I excited Crown got a championship? Absolutely.

As I wrote above, there's an argument to be made that the best shows will be less influential not more influential. in any case, it's disappointing to me that BD 2012, with pre-recorded vocals, has been more influential than Crown 2013, with live vocals.

23 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

1) Cadets 2011

2) Phantom 2008

3) Bluecoats 2016

4) Crown 2013

5) SCV 2018

I'm almost the opposite

1. SCV 2018

2. Bluecoats 2016

3. Crown 2013

4. Phantom 2008

5. Cadets 2011

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I find it the weakest Cadets championship program by a mile. The drill was GREAT

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I wrote above, there's an argument to be made that the best shows will be less influential not more influential. in any case, it's disappointing to me that BD 2012, with pre-recorded vocals, has been more influential than Crown 2013, with live vocals.

I'm not, my ears are very thankful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

1. Bluecoats 2020...you ain't seen nothin' yet!!!

2. Bloo 2016
3. Spartacus 2008
4. SCV 2018
5. Crown 2013

😂