Going Back Into The Past

19 hours ago, Tokensoul said:

Yes, I knew John Aritano. I marched with the Crusaders from 1959 through 1969. I knew that he was associated with the Sunrisers. In fact, after I left the corps some of the younger members went on later on to March with the Sunrisers as well.

I don't know which of the songs were John's but If Who Will Buy was one of them, I was the soloist at the start of the song. We used it off the line in those days.

I think John started arranging for us (Manville) in 1971.

And yes, he was the reason the  Sunrisers' "Jersey Crew" got started. He persuaded my brother Lenny to join Sun for the 1974 season after Lenny left the Crusaders... and that opened the New Jersey-to-Long Island pipeline.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I think John started arranging for us (Manville) in 1971.

And yes, he was the reason the  Sunrisers' "Jersey Crew" got started. He persuaded my brother Lenny to join Sun for the 1974 season after Lenny left the Crusaders... and that opened the New Jersey-to-Long Island pipeline.

You're probably right Fran. Even though I stopped marching in 69 I still stayed with the corps until around 1972. After that I started life in the real world.

Jim Donnelly's bio, from the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame web site:

"Jim Donnelly was a World War I veteran who modernized the North American drum and bugle corps activity through his musical genius and instrument innovations. He is best known as the musical director of St. Vincent’s Cadets, Bayonne, NJ, selected as the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame junior corps for the 1950’s, but was earlier associated with the Harry Doremus American Legion Post in Paterson, NJ. He helped remove the musical limitations of straight G bugles through the introduction of the D crook and the piston. He helped introduce the French horn and obligato soprano horn to the brass line of drum and bugle corps. St. Vincent’s Cadets were Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) New Jersey state champions twelve times between 1944-57; American Legion state champions seven times between 1949-59; VFW national champions eight times between 1946-57; American Legion national champions 1951 through 1953. St. Vincent’s is the only corps ever to win the round robin twice: 1951-52 VFW state, Legion state, VFW nationals, and Legion nationals 1951, 52 and 53."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tokensoul said:

You're probably right Fran. Even though I stopped marching in 69 I still stayed with the corps until around 1972. After that I started life in the real world.

It was not an easy sell for Lenny to go to Sun instead of elsewhere in '74.

Sun, circa 1971-74, was struggling to just stay alive, while nearby corps like Caballeros and Skyliners were thriving. 

Lenny could have easily gone to Sky, where one of his/our best friends... Mike Marsh... went after the 1973 season. But Screech was quite persuasive.  LOL.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It was not an easy sell for Lenny to go to Sun instead of elsewhere in '74.

Sun, circa 1971-74, was struggling to just stay alive, while nearby corps like Caballeros and Skyliners were thriving. 

Lenny could have easily gone to Sky, where one of his/our best friends... Mike Marsh... went after the 1973 season. But Screech was quite persuasive.  LOL.

Did Joe Gabrielski ever end up marching with the Bridgeport Hurricanes? I know he really liked them when he was in college. Or did he just go from Crusaders to being a judge?

On 8/22/2019 at 2:45 PM, Tokensoul said:

Did Joe Gabrielski ever end up marching with the Bridgeport Hurricanes? I know he really liked them when he was in college. Or did he just go from Crusaders to being a judge?

Good question. I know he was a judge for many years.

Edited by Fran Haring

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, Tokensoul said:

Yes, I knew John Aritano. I marched with the Crusaders from 1959 through 1969. I knew that he was associated with the Sunrisers. In fact, after I left the corps some of the younger members went on later on to March with the Sunrisers as well.

I don't know which of the songs were John's but If Who Will Buy was one of them, I was the soloist at the start of the song. We used it off the line in those days.

Token, Who Will Buy was a Hy Dreitzer chart.  I know I marched Manville 68 and 69 and Sunrisers after 4 years in the Air Force.  John didn't come on staff until 71.