What is your personal enjoyment rankings for 2019?

I found something to like in 20 of the 22 World Class shows. For the two I couldn't find something to like, I respected the hell out of the performers to do their best

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

1. BK -- Our son is a mellophone ageout, so, after 4 years in DCI and 3 with BK, this show connected on all kinds of "I Remember Everything" levels. It's only natural this would be our favorite of the year

I understand this sentiment and feel the same, if you're personally connected you automatically enjoy it more. I had an ageout son in Open Class. He knew MMs that went on to BAC, Cadets. My wife sat in the clinic with a 7th who went on to BAC and she cooked for 7th and at least once for Heat Wave this tour. 

Personal enjoyment for me is weighted heavily on knowing people in the corps and staff, so me and/or family either travelled around with these Corps, knew people in them, housed with them, chatted with parents, or connected in some other personal way.

1. All of OC (but especially 7th Regiment, Les Stentors, Colt Cadets, Guardians, Legends, Southwind, Spartans, and Heat Wave)

2. Boston

3. Cadets

4. Colts

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I found something to like in 20 of the 22 World Class shows. For the two I couldn't find something to like, I respected the hell out of the performers to do their best

Ditto

• Like 1

I don't think there were any I didn't like.  Some special mentions - 

Now in my "All Time" rotation - Bluecoats, Blue Devils

Enjoyed waaaay more than I expected to - Crown, Boston, Mandarins, Spirit, Pacific Crest, Colts, Madison, Spartans, Genesis, Guardians (I definitely had the 😐 face when I first heard about it), Louisiana Stars, Colts Cadets, Les Stentors (seriously)

Mike

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

1. All of OC (but especially 7th Regiment, Les Stentors, Colt Cadets, Guardians, Legends, Southwind, Spartans, and Heat Wave)

2. Boston

3. Cadets

4. Colts

I've attended every Open Class finals since 2012, and this was my favorite year. I don't think I've seen a better tenth-place corps than Shadow, and they just kept getting better from there.

And as I've said before, I often find that Open Class shows are more enjoyable than World Class shows specifically because they're not as worried about difficulty. For the same reason, I have frequently felt that some mid-range World Class show are more fun to watch than some World Class finalist shows.

That said, watching some of the Open Class shows this year on the Flo stream from World Class finals, I was struck by how they seemed restricted and slow by comparison. Partly because they just weren't designed for the bigger venue with the smaller crowd.

And quite a few World Class shows this year took forever to come together and feel coherent and cohesive to me, but when they did, they were solid. In that group, I would put forward Crown as the preeminent example. But even Bluecoats, despite winning every early show, didn't seem like a medalist contender to me in the first three weeks of the season.

• Like 1

This year was a great year top to bottom honestly. Best I've seen yet. I'll rank the top 12 from my personal enjoyment level!

1. Bluecoats

2. The Cavaliers

3. Boston Crusaders

4. Carolina Crown

5. Crossmen

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Blue Stars

9. Blue Devils

10. The Cadets

11. Mandarins

12. Blue Knights

I enjoy looking at everyone's list. It's interesting!

• Like 1