What is your personal enjoyment rankings for 2019?

I still have not come down from the high of finals week, also sad that the season is done.

Have been listening to Madison and Blue Knights non-stop this week, I cannot seem to get enough..

Really loved Boston Crusaders, Phantom Regiment, Crossmen, Jersey Surf, Spartans, Gold, Pacific Crest.  

My bf is a BD fan, my opinion has always been that “someday” they would do a show that I could actually listen to; this year my prediction came to pass: I actually liked their show : )

I also tend to prefer OC, the music is much more listenable, often the themes are more interesting/fun.  I very much enjoyed all the productions (regardless of class.)   So grateful to DCI and each corps for all the work done to create such incredible experiences.   (Cannot wait for the audio bundle and videos.)

It definitely seemed like many of the corps (but not all) were more raw than usual at the beginning of the season. Was very pleasantly surprised last week at how some of the shows shaped up.

• Like 2

i'm in the minority, but there were very few shows i enjoyed in the top 12

bones

blue stars

cavies

bluecoats

amazing performers and performances from top to bottom. no denying the talent.  just a snoozer of a year overall for me as far as show design goes

• Like 1

Bluecoats - Not a Beatles Fan. But you gotta go with what drum corps is designed for (entertainment.) I loved the show. But when Britt leaned over to me and said "This is the only show that's given me goose bumps"....well that just speaks volumes. 

Cavies - As has already been said, great brass book and wonderful ballad. 

Blue Knights - Great brass book with recognizable music. I wasn't as hyped about their battery as some where but they were still hot. 

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with the Bluecoats, Cavies and Devils.  Always seem to enjoy Crown's brass book.     

But all these dark, angry shows disturb me.  What is the activity so mad at and why are we teaching the young people to emote hatred and anger?  There is so much to celebrate in life that only music can foster the emotions of a positive future and happiness.  Anger is such a base emotion I see no reason to continue teaching it.  I for one see no gratification in paying serious money to watch perhaps the most talented young people out there snarling at me.

Edited by endy29
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1. Cavies

2. BD

3. SCV

4. Crown

5. BK

Many great shows, just 3-4 in the Friday night lineup I didn't much care for.

Boston was very good, too. I got a little weary of it as the tour progressed. I know that won't make much sense to others. Pretty much the same with Mandarins. Then just the opposite with BK.

1 hour ago, endy29 said:

Pretty much agree with the Bluecoats, Cavies and Devils.  Always seem to enjoy Crown's brass book.     

But all these dark, angry shows disturb me.  What is the activity so mad at and why are we teaching the young people to emote hatred and anger?  There is so much to celebrate in life that only music can foster the emotions of a positive future and happiness.  Anger is such a base emotion I see no reason to continue teaching it.  I for one see no gratification in paying serious money to watch perhaps the most talented young people out there snarling at me.

I know someone who marched BD in 1995, a very aggressive and angry show. He is as happy as one can be. 

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

1. Cavies

2. BD

3. SCV

4. Crown

5. BK

Many great shows, just 3-4 in the Friday night lineup I didn't much care for.

Boston was very good, too. I got a little weary of it as the tour progressed. I know that won't make much sense to others. Pretty much the same with Mandarins. Then just the opposite with BK.

Boston was fun because it was so on the nose..but for that reason, for me, it didn’t seem to wear as well as other finalist shows. Still, I think it’s great for the activity former 8-14 corps climb into the medalist realm, and they certainly deserved to be there.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2