What is your personal enjoyment rankings for 2019?

I sat in the blast zone during finals, which gave me a completely new perspective of the programs. I’d argue that this vantage point is the worst to judge the entire program, but with that being said... here are my blast zone enjoyment rankings:

1. Blue Devils

2. Blue Knights

3. Bluecoats

4. Carolina Crown

5. Boston Crusaders

6. SCV

7. Blue Stars

8. Cavaliers

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Cadets

11. Mandarins

12. Crossmen

Let me also add that this was my favorite year of finals too to bottom since 2014. Really enjoyed all of the groups, when I usually only like about half of the programs.

Edited by MidWAmericanArts
  • Like 1

1. Bloooo 2 Pacific Crest 3 Madison Scouts 4 Blue Knights 5 Crossmen 6 BD 7 Cavies 8 Boston  9 SCV 10 Crown...

On 8/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, endy29 said:

Pretty much agree with the Bluecoats, Cavies and Devils.  Always seem to enjoy Crown's brass book.     

But all these dark, angry shows disturb me.  What is the activity so mad at and why are we teaching the young people to emote hatred and anger?  There is so much to celebrate in life that only music can foster the emotions of a positive future and happiness.  Anger is such a base emotion I see no reason to continue teaching it.  I for one see no gratification in paying serious money to watch perhaps the most talented young people out there snarling at me.

🙄

On 8/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, endy29 said:

But all these dark, angry shows disturb me.  What is the activity so mad at and why are we teaching the young people to emote hatred and anger?  There is so much to celebrate in life that only music can foster the emotions of a positive future and happiness.  Anger is such a base emotion I see no reason to continue teaching it.  I for one see no gratification in paying serious money to watch perhaps the most talented young people out there snarling at me.

I agree 100%. My Wife and I both wondered why all the angst, anger and snarling with members crawling around like animals making angry wierd looking faces? Everyone looks pi55ed off.

I will have another order of The Bluecoats please. The activity needs more smiles, positivity, and harmony. 

• Like 6

If this is overall, and not just finals:

1. Bluecoats - Just the complete package. I adore this show! 2017 Bluecoats will still get more listens from me, but this is my most listened to show this year by a lot!
  2. Blue Knights - This show I probably connect the most with this year out of any show. I just absolutely love it musically. Visually, some nice ideas, but that's the biggest BK issue for me. The drumline waves in the beginning really just draw me in more than almost any show feature has - then that brass just SLAPS you. The ballad... perfect, and easily my favorite part of the show (and possibly of any show this year). Just so much emotion. BK puts out something so unique, so special. Every single year. Please never change!
  3. Cavaliers - As with BD, this is my favorite Cavies show since 2008. I even enjoyed it more than 2010's Mad World. I love this show so much, and I love having the Cavies fight back like this! Plus... that brass!
  4. Spartans - HELLO! Someone had referred to this show as "Bluecoats Lite" and I want to agree, while not taking away from this design team in the slightest. It worked. It simply worked, felt great, and the ballad was fantastic for me! Great job to the wonderful members for the fantastic show they put out! I hope this design team sticks around for a long time to come, and I'm excited to see where this corps goes going forward!
  5. Carolina Crown - Last year did nothing for me, but this year felt so much better. There were tiny things that I didn't enjoy about this show though. The opener is great at the start. But, compared to the original version, towards the end of the opener it feels a bit too "Disney" to me. Ballad is amazing, and I love it in the moment, but I forget it for some reason as soon as I finish listening to it. Closer hits hard and doesn't let go!
  6. Blue Devils - This is my favorite BD show since 2008! So much to like about it!
  7. Pacific Crest - Please keep on this path! I really hope to see you guys break into finals in the next couple of years!
  8. Blue Stars - The ballad is one of my favorite moments this year, but the rest of the show just doesn't connect with me.
  9. Phantom Regiment - I'm so happy this show developed so well! Rough start of the season, then it built into what has been my favorite PR show since 2011/2012!
  10. Boston Crusaders - Opener is great to me, then is just fizzles out a bit. It's hard to pinpoint what I don't like about it. I don't hate it, but don't love it.
  11. The Academy - Some flashes of greatness, and I think this can be a great platform in growing for next year.
  12. SCV - I loved SCV last year, and I love them most years, but this year just didn't connect with me at all.
Edited by JustEnjoyIt
  • Like 5

1. Bluecoats. I haven't loved a show this much in a long time. Still humming that Blackbird/Dear Prudence mash and the crushing She's So Heavy bit.

2. Crown. Wasn't my favorite CC theme, but wow that hornline was fabulous. Best ballad by far, and a hugely enjoyable show overall.

3. BAC. We're gonna see these guys with gold medals on before too long. That guard was just amazing. Great theme elements all around.

4. SCV. Reee-diculous drumline, just wow. If they had kept the first seven minutes of energy to the end, they might have threatened a repeat. Not a fan of the costuming this year, just a little too sloppy for me.

5. Blue Knights. Wow, what a beautiful show! That drumline was amazing too. Massive dynamics and a really creative book unlike, well, everyone else's. Gorgeous.

6. BD. It was a well-conceived show, performed with the outstanding achievement we have come to expect from Devs. I just didn't fall in love with it. Loved the wall prop. 

7. Crossmen. Best DM by a mile. Great show, great guard, excellent theming. Really enjoyed this show.

8. Spirit. Admittedly biased (SOA vet), but this year's show was such a crowd reaction machine. They've shown three years running of solid improvement, and I expect it'll continue.

9. Cavaliers.Really nice thematic elements. Great achievement on a difficult book. Great hornline. Good drumline, if not the chart-toppers they were in the 90s-00s.

10. Mandarins. Surprised me with how generally excellent and consistent they are becoming. Liked this year's show, maybe not as much as last year, but still very good.

11. PR. They made HUGE strides from the dumpster fire they showed us at Preview, and that trombone thing was a highlight.

12. Cadets. Killer drumline let down by a middle-of-the-road program. They had some amazing performers, and I'm happy to see them recovering from the post-GH era, but I wasn't excited about the show this year. It was just, fine.

13. Blue Stars. Great ensemble, and I'm loving that they embrace their themes 100%, but I didn't love the show nor the costuming. Better than Bob the Builder, but meh? Great corps though.

14. Academy. Second best version of Bridge Over Troubled Water this season. Had some moments, but so forgettable, I had to look up their show again writing this.

15. Colts. Tired theme, and some elements felt very, um, unfinished? Wanted to like this show more than I did, and appreciate where they are and are going.

These are the shows that I keep going back to.

Crown - They played beautifully..... all while doing some really great drill.

Blue Knights - Their best show since "That one second".  Very moving.

Blue Stars - An old school demanding drill and an incredible closer.

SCV - Musically, they were my favorite.  

Pacific Crest - Great design for a corps that I think will be pushing towards finals next year.

Edited by bluesman
clarity

1. The Cavaliers - Such a no brainer for me. Impeccably designed and such a wonderful tribute to the Warrens ( Happy Birthday to Don in heaven)!

2. Bluecoats - Perhaps the most well rounded show of the season. Such a great piece of entertainment and integration of all elements.

3. Blue Knights - Really just love their style these past couple of years.

4. Boston Crusaders

5. Colts - Helped sponsor two ladies in the guard, and they seemed to be having the time of their life. Gotta love that!

6. SCV 

7. Carolina Crown - Gotta respect that performance level, and I thought the drill was great this year!

8. Blue Stars

9. Pacific Crest

10. Spirit of Atlanta - Wouldn't have hurt my feelings to see this show make finals!

11. Crossmen

12. Mandarins