What is your personal enjoyment rankings for 2019?

I tried putting together a list but i just can't. Too many good shows this year.

All i will say is this.

1. Crown

2. Everyone else.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:30 PM, endy29 said:

Pretty much agree with the Bluecoats, Cavies and Devils.  Always seem to enjoy Crown's brass book.     

But all these dark, angry shows disturb me.  What is the activity so mad at and why are we teaching the young people to emote hatred and anger?  There is so much to celebrate in life that only music can foster the emotions of a positive future and happiness.  Anger is such a base emotion I see no reason to continue teaching it.  I for one see no gratification in paying serious money to watch perhaps the most talented young people out there snarling at me.

Yeah, there was a very healthy helping of angry shows. Pretty unfortunate, and I agree that we could use a broader palette of emotions from the activity at large. 

My take from a pure enjoyment standpoint...

1 Bluecoats (cannot get this show out of my head!)

2 Devils

3 This one might surprise you...Phantom

4 Colts

5 Crossmen

6 Cavies

7 Crown (although that brass!)

8 Bluestars

9 Spirit of Atlanta

10 Boston

11 The Academy (well...at least their version of troubled water)

12 BK

I know, I know SCV is not in the list. I cannot deny they were good this year because they were but from a pure enjoyment standpoint I just never clicked with them this year. 

• Like 1

Cavaliers

Crown

Colts

Madison Scouts 

Phantom Regiment 

HM to Cadets snare line

BOSTON

SPIRIT

MADISON

CROSSMAN

MUSIC CITY

PHANTOM 

BLUE STARS

BLOO

PACIFIC CREST

HOT DOG 

HOT DOG

HOT DOG

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 9:29 AM, lanceengland said:

Post your own opinion, and its not wrong! Truthfully, I enjoyed every show I watched. I have much respect for everyone involved.

My personal enjoyment rankings:
Ah, I feel better now.

After reading everyone's comments, I had to repost mine with some. I really like the diversity of answers.

1. Bluecoats - the musical arrangements were stunning, and the costuming was fantastic. Immediately goes on the All-time Favorite DCI Shows list.
2. Crown - I think they should have jumped SCV, personally. A little bit "old school" drum corp, delivered with Crown precision. The company front near the end was awesome, and the cross-field ballad duet was another gem.
3. Blue Knights - It finally occurred to me that BK has crept into my favorite corps list. The have carved out an identity and I look forward every year to what they will deliver.
4. Crossmen - I saw a video of the premier show and knew they had "leveled up:. Love the concept, guard, and drum major. Could do without the guitars and bass 😃
5. Vanguard - First half of the show was technical precision. Lost me at the Metallica ballad, a song I've never liked
6. Mandarins - A think they are a new staple in the top 12. Brass and body movement were standouts. There is something about Mandarins that I can't put my finger on.
7. Blue Devils - I mean no disrespect putting them here. The wall was very clever.
8. Cavaliers - I do not know why this show did not connect with me. The delivery was great.
9. Boston - Same with BAC. Parts of the show I liked, but hated the stilts and the decapitation.
10. Phantom - Not a show I love, but had some moments 
11. Cadets - Pardon the pun, they can do better
12. Blue Stars - Loved the marching, hated the costumes.

Shout out to Spirit of Atlanta! I really want them to make finals next year. I don't know who they would replace. Mandarins and Boston have messed everything up the past couple years 😁 so there are only so many spots to go around.

• Like 1

My first drum corps show was the US Open in Marion, Ohio in 1969.  It was amazing then and it is amazing still, even with all of the changes that have happened throughout the years.  Today's show are quite different but they are still challenging and extremely impressive performances by ever increasingly talented young people.  You could never pay them to work this hard if they didn't love it!   From top to bottom this was my favorite year and if I am honest the only I can remember year where there was no hot dog corps for me.  Every single one had something good and interesting to offer.

My opinion from a enjoyment perspective:

1 Bluecoats - For me they deserved to be the champion.  It is still surprising that they won GE and tied for first in Music and didn't pull it off.  But, that was the result.  What a year!  I do not criticize any judging or take nothing away from amazing BD but this Bluecoats show was a master class of design, the arrangements were superb, the performance was inspired and the result was an uplifting joy that the crowds really appreciated.  This is my new favorite Bluecoats show of all time although I still love Tilt (which in my opinion should have won as well).  I look forward to next season to see what this design team will come up with.  They have been quite innovative for several years now so my expectations are pretty high.

2 Blue Devils - BD is the unquestioned champion of cleaning and adding and I think they pulled off a great feat beating the Bluecoats this season.  For me, the show got better and better and the finals performance, including that whirlpool drill, was simply amazing.  But, why wait so long?  A great tactic to win but how many fans never got to see their best product??  That bothers me a bit.

3 Crown - There is no denying the distinctive and powerful brass sound which I love.  This show is also one that grew on me as the season went on and I quite enjoyed the end result.  It was a bit old school but then again, I am one of those dinosaurs so that is not all bad.  But, the Bluecoats are driving the activity in new directions so it will be interesting to see how other corps like Crown respond.

4 SCV - I love SCV and this was another powerful show but it fell a little short for me - maybe a bit forced?  I would like to see more of a return to a traditional SCV look as I think that would suit them very well.

5 Blue Knights- While BK seemed to me a step down in intensity from the corps above, I found this show very classy, clean and cerebral.  Easily my favorite BK show in a long while.

6 Cavaliers - What a fun show and it was performed with great energy.  It reminded me of the great shows from earlier this century!  More of this, please.

7 Crossmen - An aggressive, hard-driving show that was quite enjoyable.

8 Phantom - Phantom is a sentimental favorite for me as I used to work for a company based in Rockford.  I think the activity has passed them by a bit but I hope they continue to put quality shows together.  I would love Phantom to be a contender again.

9 Blue Stars - Sorry, I did not see the show live.

10 Mandarins - I love the character of this up and coming corps.  This was a very nice show in year of great shows.

11 Colts - Sorry, I did not see the show live.

12 Boston - There is no doubting the talent and drive of this team and the guard was amazing all year.  The show got better as the season went on but the design just did not work for me.  Loved the corps and they did an admirable job at selling it but the show design just fell flat, from an enjoyment perspective.

9 hours ago, Corpfan said:

My take from a pure enjoyment standpoint...

1 Bluecoats (cannot get this show out of my head!)

2 Devils

3 This one might surprise you...Phantom

4 Colts

5 Crossmen

6 Cavies

7 Crown (although that brass!)

8 Bluestars

9 Spirit of Atlanta

10 Boston

11 The Academy (well...at least their version of troubled water)

12 BK

I know, I know SCV is not in the list. I cannot deny they were good this year because they were but from a pure enjoyment standpoint I just never clicked with them this year. 

Colts were definitely in my top six. I loved that show. And the costume change!   I could really feel some passion from those kids.  They enjoyed performing their show. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lanceengland said:

After reading everyone's comments, I had to repost mine with some. I really like the diversity of answers.

1. Bluecoats - the musical arrangements were stunning, and the costuming was fantastic. Immediately goes on the All-time Favorite DCI Shows list.
2. Crown - I think they should have jumped SCV, personally. A little bit "old school" drum corp, delivered with Crown precision. The company front near the end was awesome, and the cross-field ballad duet was another gem.
3. Blue Knights - It finally occurred to me that BK has crept into my favorite corps list. The have carved out an identity and I look forward every year to what they will deliver.
4. Crossmen - I saw a video of the premier show and knew they had "leveled up:. Love the concept, guard, and drum major. Could do without the guitars and bass 😃
5. Vanguard - First half of the show was technical precision. Lost me at the Metallica ballad, a song I've never liked
6. Mandarins - A think they are a new staple in the top 12. Brass and body movement were standouts. There is something about Mandarins that I can't put my finger on.
7. Blue Devils - I mean no disrespect putting them here. The wall was very clever.
8. Cavaliers - I do not know why this show did not connect with me. The delivery was great.
9. Boston - Same with BAC. Parts of the show I liked, but hated the stilts and the decapitation.
10. Phantom - Not a show I love, but had some moments 
11. Cadets - Pardon the pun, they can do better
12. Blue Stars - Loved the marching, hated the costumes.

Shout out to Spirit of Atlanta! I really want them to make finals next year. I don't know who they would replace. Mandarins and Boston have messed everything up the past couple years 😁 so there are only so many spots to go around.

I also thought that Crown should have jumped past Vanguard.  

• Like 2