Bluray/DVD - Which ones?

Since the chance of DCI getting their act together and putting up a streaming video archive are next to nil, I'm planning to start putting together my own Bluray/DVD library. Any suggestions on which years to start with?

Stuff from 2000's era is out of print and will be gone once DCI sells through their supply. Some years already unavailable now, like 2000 and 2003. If you're interested in anything from that period I would just start buying whatever DVD's are still available.

24 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Start with the first year they sold Bluray, whatever year that was.  That answer will be coming very soon.

That was 2009, and they only did a limited run of Blu-rays so you can't buy them on the website anymore. 2010 onward is in stock

8 hours ago, leed17 said:

Get the three Essentials Collections Blu-ray’s, they are worth it. 

Ditto this.

My library is 100% complete as far back as the early 70s LPs. I have BETA video and a Sony BETAmax to play them.  I have everything on the latest format and many duplicate shows on different formats.  BluRay rocks in quality, IMO. But, when I want to show someone a snippet history of the activity, I pull out The Legacy Collection.  You can show snippets in 15 min that show the clear evolution. 

I understand your desire to buy specific, but I’d start with TLC and build digital after that.

Thanks.  Good advice. I’ll start with the essentials and go from there.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:18 AM, leed17 said:

Get the three Essentials Collections Blu-ray’s, they are worth it. 

I agree, however I do not know if the complete Essentials is available anymore and some individual  years are sold out and will not be reissued, so purchase what you can ASAP.

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I agree, however I do not know if the complete Essentials is available anymore and some individual  years are sold out and will not be reissued, so purchase what you can ASAP.

I think you mean the Legacy collection DVDs...those are the ones that are incomplete in the DCI store but some years are still available.  

The three Essentials Blu-ray’s are all still there for now.  Wish they would make more Essential Blu-ray’s, but with licensing how it is, that’ll never happen. 😞

21 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Just bought the 3 essentials Blu-ray’s + 2010 Blu-ray.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leed17 said:

I think you mean the Legacy collection DVDs...those are the ones that are incomplete in the DCI store but some years are still available.  

The three Essentials Blu-ray’s are all still there for now.  Wish they would make more Essential Blu-ray’s, but with licensing how it is, that’ll never happen. 😞

I do mean the Legacy. As far as the Essentials BluRays are concerned, I purchased Volume 3 in Atlanta and spoke with the person selling them who worked for DCI. This would have been 2014 the year it was released. I told him I was surprised a few shows were not included, namely 27th in 1980 and Madison in 1999. He told me if I liked those shows, I would love the Volume 4 release which never happened. He did not promise those two shows would be included, but a potential volume was in the works that never saw the light of day. 

• Sad 1