Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Have you SEEN the attendance at the Alumni show the last few years?!  Maybe 500 people? Look, part of DCA's audience really likes the alumni thing, but alumni corps don't put additional butts in the seats.

Heck some of the alumni corps members don’t even go to prelims or finals.  They were all checking out of the Genetti on Sunday afternoon after alumni show.

• Like 2

Question to those who follow that side of the activity.

To recruit a younger audience, why would anyone hold a Championship on Labor Day weekend? That younger audience is doing halftime performances with either their high school or college marching bands.

DCI Championships are held each year at the same time so staff and MM’s can get to their band camps and also begin school. 

What value is there to DCI to absorb essentially a circuit the would be in contrast to their mission, not to mention their Saturday morning SoundSport and DrumLine battles. 

With all the events going on during DCI week most people are burned out come Saturday morning. Sunday is corps banquets and a travel day. I doubt there would be a lot of interest to attend another event with all-age groups.

Unless these organizations can afford a limited Open Class tour schedule, WGI Winds might be their best option for the future. WGI has a large footprint for performance opportunities. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It's hard to imagine that an organization can be WORSE at PR, Advertising and moving the product forward to the next generation than DCI. But...uh....yeahhhh...DCA sucks at it. 

I think your swipe at DCI is considerably off the mark. Soundsport alone negates your logic

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

There also were some years in the 1970s and '80s with 15 or so corps at prelims.

Where DCA is headed... I can't predict the future. I have my opinion, but basically, who cares about my opinion. LOL

1974 had 15 corps and 1975 had 19. We came in 15th both years so easy to remember 

Way things looked in early 90s surprised either DCA or DCI still around. Way the world is changing there could be one big “oh crap” that starts putting the final coffin nail in either one. 

I just take it year by year....

edit: noticed it wasn’t in the earlier list 1993 had 13 corps.... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Algernon said:

I think your swipe at DCI is considerably off the mark. Soundsport alone negates your logic

I'm ok that you disagree. That's what opinions are all about. I don't happen to find my logic flawed at all or negated by Soundsport. But thanks for sharing your opinion, it's duly noted.

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep. I'm not too far off myself at 47. But DCA is doing nothing PERIOD to recruit, showcase or even maintain their audience. DCA can be captivating just as is DCI. But it's going to take work that I don't think they're willing to put in. That's why I think DCI should take over the day to day operations of DCA. But that's just an opinion. 

Problem would be that I don't think they'd care very much about the all-age units. Subject's been seriously discussed along those lines. The trick is the core units are all geographically tight to one another, which has also been discussed. A lot of issues at play I think might be approaching another critical mass.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm ok that you disagree. That's what opinions are all about. I don't happen to find my logic flawed at all or negated by Soundsport. But thanks for sharing your opinion, it's duly noted.

Soundsport is the equivalent of Autocross compared to NASCAR. It takes very little effort from DCI, really, and it gives something to go at the grass roots level for many organizations who can't make the next step up nor maybe want to. I agree with you that it really doesn't make much difference to DCI, mainly to the performers who just want to perform on some basic level and enjoy themselves.

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

Soundsport is the equivalent of Autocross compared to NASCAR. It takes very little effort from DCI, really, and it gives something to go at the grass roots level for many organizations who can't make the next step up nor maybe want to. I agree with you that it really doesn't make much difference to DCI, mainly to the performers who just want to perform on some basic level and enjoy themselves.

and to the developing organizations that have developed into more corps. 

5 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Question to those who follow that side of the activity.

To recruit a younger audience, why would anyone hold a Championship on Labor Day weekend? That younger audience is doing halftime performances with either their high school or college marching bands.

DCI Championships are held each year at the same time so staff and MM’s can get to their band camps and also begin school. 

What value is there to DCI to absorb essentially a circuit the would be in contrast to their mission, not to mention their Saturday morning SoundSport and DrumLine battles. 

With all the events going on during DCI week most people are burned out come Saturday morning. Sunday is corps banquets and a travel day. I doubt there would be a lot of interest to attend another event with all-age groups.

Unless these organizations can afford a limited Open Class tour schedule, WGI Winds might be their best option for the future. WGI has a large footprint for performance opportunities. 

All good points.

IMO, the Labor Day weekend thing is the top issue that DCA will need to address. 

BTW, I hope Stephan is doing well! :tongue:

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

and to the developing organizations that have developed into more corps. 

It's been a good starting point, I agree.