Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm not certain. Given the push back that corps  aparently gets in the HS world, I wpuld doubt there's a tremendous ampunt od recruiting. But I could be off base as I don't go to HS band competitions. 

I see Cabs, Fusion, Bush, and Bucs recruiting in the fall. Been told Thunderbirds are as well. I would imagine White Sabres do in the NY Fed circuit and the Hurcs do in the MAC. Sun clearly does in the LI Circuit. There are a lot of kids competing in three major circuits in DCA's traditional stomping grounds.

There are some issues there. One has been around since my time- "Why is this a better option than my own school band?" is one of them. I still remember the one feature trumpet kid from a then-powerhouse in this area come to a Westshore rehearsal and realize he wouldn't be the special snowflake at Westshore, that there were at least 8 other people on his level in the Lead Soprano section. He didn't come back. I liked that challenge and thrived on it. Others simply don't. How are you gonna get better unless you're around other great people who push you to get there? I understood that.

Another is cost. I think it's cheap for what one gets. C2 was notably more pricey than the others, but those who remain have what I think are reasonable fees. Some families just can't afford it. Not as easy for a kid to do what I did and get out and cut literally nice little old ladies' lawns for reasonable prices during the week to pay for my meals for the corps weekend. (there's a good story there about honesty and fairness...)

Another is time/other options. I still remember getting a call, "You want to go water skiing at Raystown Saturday with us???" and telling my friend I had a Corps weekend. From what I know, those calls are a lot more tempting and frequent for kids now. I smile and hope Jeff's Daughter doesn't get those calls as she gets older. I don't want to see Dad have to give a wise and serious talk to his Daughter about commitments. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And fans thinking Why the hades do I want to see a corps that scores a 40? 

Interesting. I still remember my 8th grade math teacher explaining that he could give us tests where a 40% was an A. But... that they would be totally hellish. 

I think it's easier to swallow when one is dead last with a 71 than a 37 or 41 (:wink: at Jim), hence the minimum numbers one sees on score sheets now. I have my educated guesses DCA has those and where that bottom lies.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, it’s not. 

One of the reasons DCA hasn’t committed to Williamsport for 20 - 21 is that they are requiring ten corps to commit for the next two years. 

Edited by HBD

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think it's easier to swallow when one is dead last with a 71 than a 37 or 41 (:wink: at Jim), hence the minimum numbers one sees on score sheets now. I have my educated guesses DCA has those and where that bottom lies.

Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch 😝

And that was under the old execution (tic) system.... What’s the worst under the current system? Want to think a 60 but that was with a corps that wouldn’t meet the minimum size requirement today.

1 minute ago, HBD said:

There ARE talks between the two circuits right now BUT it isn't because 8 corps approached DCI like that "bird" told you, quite the opposite.A Proposal is  being written up now with a plan to present it to the DCA directors sometime in the Fall. A commitment to Williamsport depends on what's in this proposal and if the DCA directors approve and vote YES for the proposal. The off season will be very interesting for the all age activity.

No one said that the talks between the two circuits now were because of the eight corps.  

All of this discussion happened last winter after the December meeting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

WOW! Now that explains a lot. Not all organizations are sharing the risk and cost of traveling. 

Hit the rock and hard place of corps doing what would help DCA the most and doing what protects the corps the most by staying in budget. My guess is east coast corps would need a years lead time to get a long trip together for following season. Mainly for the bus costs, especially if they have to switch drivers due to length of travel time. (Forget what max drive time per 24 hours is today. Just remember we switched drivers twice on a 24 hour trip in 1978 between PA and New Orléans for American Legion nationals)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

WOW! Now that explains a lot. Not all organizations are sharing the risk and cost of traveling. 

That's a serious bone that has been picked for years to the point it's left a bruise on the bohinti.

The problem is this-

Efforts of DCA to expand outside of the traditional region have met with near disaster. After the Winston-Salem debacle where they had a who's who of all age corps at their very best going at it with a crowd the size of the one at 3:17 in this video...

everyone in DCA is still totally spooked about trying again. DCA Championships outside the main region would likely be even more of a disaster.

In WGI, I'd assume groups near Dayton don't share near the same travel and cost risk as others, either.