Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Nope. 

Nope to which part? Am I wrong in my understanding that DCA is, like DCI, ultimately under the control of the corps?

And in past years, it's been reported here that DCA's controlling members are the ten corps with the highest scores in Prelims (who also appeared in at least one other DCA show during the season). Is that not true?

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch 😝

And that was under the old execution (tic) system.... What’s the worst under the current system? Want to think a 60 but that was with a corps that wouldn’t meet the minimum size requirement today.

Educated guess is between a 45 and 50. I haven't seen a DCA sheet to verify. Even with the modern scoring system numbers in the 30-s and 40's or worse were around in the 90's with some of the regional junior circuits. The DCI sheets at that time had a Blacked out Bar in Box 1 which was like 0-9 in that sub-caption with the equivalent verbiage of "here be dragons, Vade Retro, don't go here", which pegged low numbers around 20. The sheets were extremely detailed with at times 3 sub-boxes. (Box 3A, 3B, and 3C for instance).

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Nope to which part? Am I wrong in my understanding that DCA is, like DCI, ultimately under the control of the corps?

And in past years, it's been reported here that DCA's controlling members are the ten corps with the highest scores in Prelims (who also appeared in at least one other DCA show during the season). Is that not true?

I guess I was confused by who controls DCA.   If you are referring to the member corps because then you’d be correct. I thought that you were referring to the administration. 

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The voting membership are the 10 highest scores from prelims regardless of class that are from the US and Canada, IIRC. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I guess I was confused by who controls DCA.   If you are referring to the member corps because then you’d be correct. I thought that you were referring to the administration. 

Well, I guess my question is this: to whom does DCA's administration report? Who is the boss of these people? Or more specifically: who is Allen Buell responsible to?

Executive Officers:
Allen Buell – President
Pat Bocker – Vice President
Amber Roeker – Secretary
John Carr – Treasurer

Administration:
Dick Eschenmann – Business Manager
Al DeGroote – Director of Development/Marketing
John Kreitzer – Judging Coordinator

Staff:
Francois Auclair – Chief Technology Officer
Dick Fischette – I&E / Alumni Show Chairman
Dick Eschenmann – Championship Chairman
Jeremy Mensing – Graphic Designer/Social Media Coordinator
Amy Slentz – Creative Director

Also, how many of them are paid and who decides how much they get paid?

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The member corps are the "board" of DCA, the executive committee works for the DCA board, the DCA is under control of the corps.

The member corps are the 10 highest scoring corps in PRELIMS regardless of what class they are in. 

I was a DCA director for over 27 years, I helped write most of these rules.

• Like 2

Just now, HBD said:

The member corps are the "board" of DCA, the executive committee works for the DCA board, the DCA is under control of the corps.

The member corps are the 10 highest scoring corps in PRELIMS regardless of what class they are in. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, HBD said:

Didn’t they change that rule to the class A champion gets to vote no matter what they score?  I thought I heard that from someone. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Didn’t they change that rule to the class A champion gets to vote no matter what they score?  I thought I heard that from someone. 

Even if they did (and I also would be curious to know), it doesn't matter for last year because C2 dropped out and Gold (and Govies) outscored Sunrisers.

Just now, HBD said:

So if the ten highest scoring corps in Prelims control DCA, and the administration ultimately reports to them, as you indicate...

And eight corps were trying to leave DCA last January, as Terri has been told...

And there were 19 corps in DCA Prelims in 2018...

But one of those corps (Cadence) was from England and another (C2) announced last fall that they were shutting down...

And the eight renegade corps weren't the corps that control DCA, as Terri believes to be the case...

Then the ten corps in charge of DCA were: Buccaneers, CV, Fusion, Sabers, Cabs, Bush, CT, Hurcs, Gold, and Govies.

And that leaves only seven corps who could have been trying to break away: Sunrisers, Skyliners, Chops, Knights, Thunderbirds, Regiment, and Saints.

And three of those corps are inactive this year.

• Like 1