Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And if one of the top 10 corps goes inactive then there are 9 member corps on the board I take it?  Had same thing in 1977 when Rochester Phoenix went inactive. Number 11 corps at DCA year before did not become a member corps.

No, the next corps in line moves up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, HBD said:

No, the next corps in line moves up.

Well NOW the rule is different 😫 lol...

yeah guess whose corps didn’t move up that year....

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Looking at the DCM scores from History of Drum Corps there were a few smaller Sr corps that never went to DCA. From 60s to 80s had Red Carpet (RCA) and International Corps (ICA) Associations where some of the smaller corps did not go to DCA weekend to save money as they would not make top 10. 

As for those 20 or so corps years about 10-15 years back bunch of Class A corps and some from outside of northeast that I remember. Seemed like they lasted a few years and disappeared so no idea how much DCA has to do with their demise. 

And holy crap W, never knew that about Heartliner... and we liked their show

I saw the video. It was pretty scary to watch and very lucky no one else was injured except for the unfortunate repair guy.

Now... thinking about it, some corps would have benefitted from Class A being around and might have survived. But it hasn't saved certain other groups, either when it existed.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well NOW the rule is different 😫 lol...

yeah guess whose corps didn’t move up that year....

Nahhhhhhh… couldn't have been.  :innocent:

Looking back, I will readily admit part of Westshore's climb though the ranks from 1974 on was partly because of various groups falling apart. Y-R, Matadors, Crusaders had some bad hiccups at that time...Phoenix lasting only 2 seasons...Les Ambassadeurs going away...all that had a LOT to do with the 9-6 jump from 1978 to 1979. But we were also markedly better. Markedly.

Part of it was that Westshore was well run, money was there... Staff got better... talent grew and developed and there was a gritty desire to get better and survive. It was pretty darwinian then, and I would say even now it's so. The activity is very unforgiving to internal corps failures.

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

Nahhhhhhh… couldn't have been.  :innocent:

Looking back, I will readily admit part of Westshore's climb though the ranks from 1974 on was partly because of various groups falling apart. Y-R, Matadors, Crusaders had some bad hiccups at that time...Phoenix lasting only 2 seasons...Les Ambassadeurs going away...all that had a LOT to do with the 9-6 jump from 1978 to 1979. But we were also markedly better. Markedly.

Part of it was that Westshore was well run, money was there... Staff got better... talent grew and developed and there was a gritty desire to get better and survive. It was pretty darwinian then, and I would say even now it's so. The activity is very unforgiving to internal corps failures.

Larry had a good long term plan and he kept members informed on where we were in that plan. We knew starting out we were hamburger to the hungry top dogs of DCA so immediate goal was to beat the previous score. And thank goodness we had members who knew they would not be around for the good years but still got their butts kicked for the future good. 

Figure go from inactive one season, last in Prelims the next (Prelims was 2nd show that year) and then improve placement next 6 years gotta have a good plan

back to regular thread....

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Larry had a good long term plan and he kept members informed on where we were in that plan. We knew starting out we were hamburger to the hungry top dogs of DCA so immediate goal was to beat the previous score. And thank goodness we had members who knew they would not be around for the good years but still got their butts kicked for the future good. 

Figure go from inactive one season, last in Prelims the next (Prelims was 2nd show that year) and then improve placement next 6 years gotta have a good plan

back to regular thread....

This is part of the thread in many ways. Even in that 'golden age'....corps went under, others took advantage. The problem is now, it's winnowed things down to where no one can afford to get wiped out.

2 hours ago, HBD said:

The member corps are the "board" of DCA, the executive committee works for the DCA board, the DCA is under control of the corps.

The member corps are the 10 highest scoring corps in PRELIMS regardless of what class they are in. 

I was a DCA director for over 27 years, I helped write most of these rules.

Thanks, Jay. That is the definitive answer.

I wasn't sure if an 11th vote had been added. Obviously, it hasn't been.

And since I am no longer actively involved... whether it's 10 votes or 10,000 votes, it makes no difference to me. :tongue:

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

This is part of the thread in many ways. Even in that 'golden age'....corps went under, others took advantage. The problem is now, it's winnowed things down to where no one can afford to get wiped out.

As Mike Davis has said on DCP many times. There have always been Corps folding over the years. What’s different now is there aren’t enough new corps to take their place.

• Thanks 1

8 corps. 10 corps. 8 out of 10 corps.

Numerology conspiracy theorists would have a field day with this thread.  :laughing:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

I'll throw in Heartliner, too. Wasn't DCE's or DCA's fault some cat made a fatal mistake and blew himself up while working on a gas line in Ludwigshafen and immolated himself and most of a city block which included their rehearsal facility and all of their equipment.

Umm.  What?