Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, it’s not. 

One of the reasons DCA hasn’t committed to Williamsport for 20 - 21 is that they are requiring ten corps to commit for the next two years. 

actually last i saw, they were waiting for the school board to vote yay or nay

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So if the ten highest scoring corps in Prelims control DCA, and the administration ultimately reports to them, as you indicate...

And eight corps were trying to leave DCA last January, as Terri has been told...

And there were 19 corps in DCA Prelims in 2018...

But one of those corps (Cadence) was from England and another (C2) announced last fall that they were shutting down...

And the eight renegade corps weren't the corps that control DCA, as Terri believes to be the case...

Then the ten corps in charge of DCA were: Buccaneers, CV, Fusion, Sabers, Cabs, Bush, CT, Hurcs, Gold, and Govies.

And that leaves only seven corps who could have been trying to break away: Sunrisers, Skyliners, Chops, Knights, Thunderbirds, Regiment, and Saints.

And three of those corps are inactive this year.

good theory if you have the right names in the right places, but you don't

5 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Losing Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Syracuse Brigadiers, Westshoremen, Kingston Grenadiers, Heatwave, Alliance, Kilties(?),  Renegades. Can we go further back to Matadors, Yankee rebels, Les Dynamiques, Chieftans, Generations, Steel City Ambassadors, Bayou City Blues, Night Storm, etc.

Its a lot of corps to lose since 1990. Is there a miracle? I don't think so

if there had been DCP in 1993, these same discussions may have been held when only 13 corps attended DCA Championships weekend. 13 was an all time low since 1967. Remember it was often 16-18 corps, then you had the amazing 23 in the rain in 87....then what 15 in 88? Those few years of over 20 got a lot of hopes up. But if you look at DCA history back to 1965, corps have come and gone all the time...finalists, non finalists, some corps came, left, came back and left again.

15 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Much of the frustation  for out of the NorthEast Corps is the other corps and not so much DCA admin. It is very difficult to get a Northeastern Corps to travel out of that area for a show. Why pay 10k to bus your corps to Minn and lose a whole weekend of practice while riding the bus, when you can do a local show at very little cost.  The same idea applies to Finals. If you can save 20k by having finals near your home you can save your members dues money and help your corps finances. The corps bank account that year takes precidence on the location vote.   Having it near saves money for the corps but does not expand exposure for DCA.  moving finals out of the region could expand exposure for DCA and help out of market corps, but the NorthEast Corps might have to add $200 to their dues, and many members would rather save $200 than expand DCA's presence and exposure. The Corps vote and the majority of corps is still in the NorthEast, I think they vote looking out for their members, but it makes if more expensive and difficult for corps out of the NorthEast.  The added travel time for distant Corpd makes the Labot day thing an even bigger issue since marcher need to miss an extra day of school or work to travel.   I think a lot of folks in the NE don't realize the added costs in money and time that out of region corps face

i'm for moving finals if it makes sense. I have asked dozens of times, and have yet to ever get a totally straight answer:

what is the average attendance of out of NE shows? Yes, some fans will travel no matter what, but many won't. At finals ticket prices, you won't get a ton of walk up tickets. Winston Salem, a market with no real DCA history at all, drew i think 3500 people, and as many excuses for why attendance wasn't higher...yet the monster truck show across the street at half the price drew 4 times the crowd size. How do I know about the crowd size? I went, and in the Sunday morning paper, the truck show was covered, the DCA show wasn't. is the marketing in place to draw at least that many people in say Minnesota or Atlanta? hell the marketing happening now has 2/3 of the stadium not sold 2 weeks before finals.

The move would probably kill the alumni show, but I think that could actually help DCA financially 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Umm.  What?

Just googled “Heartliner gas explosion Ludwigshafen”.. nasty...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Umm.  What?

That's what happened, man. Some gas company repair guy accidentally blew himself up and a chunk of Ludwigshafen including Heartliner's rehearsal hall that had all their equipment there. and My guess is if you go through the World Drum Corps thread you'll find the whole story hiding in there. I know it sounds crazy, but that's what happened. That's why Heartliner went inactive/folded. That one makes me deeply sad. I hung out with them during their visit... and they were really wonderful people and they had a special corps. I hope Andreas is doing well... Jupp their photographer, Uwe Baum their show coordinator... and so many I got to know and deeply respect but didn't know their names.

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So if the ten highest scoring corps in Prelims control DCA, and the administration ultimately reports to them, as you indicate...

And eight corps were trying to leave DCA last January, as Terri has been told...

And there were 19 corps in DCA Prelims in 2018...

But one of those corps (Cadence) was from England and another (C2) announced last fall that they were shutting down...

And the eight renegade corps weren't the corps that control DCA, as Terri believes to be the case...

Then the ten corps in charge of DCA were: Buccaneers, CV, Fusion, Sabers, Cabs, Bush, CT, Hurcs, Gold, and Govies.

And that leaves only seven corps who could have been trying to break away: Sunrisers, Skyliners, Chops, Knights, Thunderbirds, Regiment, and Saints.

And three of those corps are inactive this year.

It's the 10 Corps who make Finals in Open Class; and the Class A Champion. There was a vote to change the rules to extend voting rights to all corps who make finals in all classes at the last meeting but it was voted down.

Also FYI; Heartliner has been back for like two years now doing parades, local events etc. They've been recovering quite well!

Edited by lcarlton

28 minutes ago, BigW said:

Glad to know Heartliner is operating again- last word I heard on the street was that they were finished.

They actually worked with Govies on their international trip in June to much success! They were able to bounce back, though I'm not sure if they'll ever head over to DCA again. I was marching the last time they were here; and they were friendly, and fun. Loved their airplane themed show 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm for moving finals if it makes sense. I have asked dozens of times, and have yet to ever get a totally straight answer:

what is the average attendance of out of NE shows? Yes, some fans will travel no matter what, but many won't. At finals ticket prices, you won't get a ton of walk up tickets. Winston Salem, a market with no real DCA history at all, drew i think 3500 people, and as many excuses for why attendance wasn't higher...yet the monster truck show across the street at half the price drew 4 times the crowd size. How do I know about the crowd size? I went, and in the Sunday morning paper, the truck show was covered, the DCA show wasn't. is the marketing in place to draw at least that many people in say Minnesota or Atlanta? hell the marketing happening now has 2/3 of the stadium not sold 2 weeks before finals.

The move would probably kill the alumni show, but I think that could actually help DCA financially 

I would have to look to see what travel cost for CV to go up north once a year. I would be willing to bet that they would love to see more NE head to head competition. I agree I'm the point that it really would come down to getting butts in seats. Smaller DCI shows don't draw huge numbers to my understanding, but they probably draw more than the DCA shows down south. Now of there was a connection to some of the high schools, discounted ticket pricing, local advertising etc, I would think the draw would be more.