Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

Just for thought the DCI yearbook 2019 list the following All Age corps that have some relationship with DCI:  Atlanta CV, Carolina Gold, Chops, Cincinnati Tradition, Columbus saints, Crusaders senior, Govenaires, Muchachos, North Star, Southern Knights and Sunrisers.     Only one is a Northeastern DCA corps and several are I believe alumni type corps

30 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Absolutely not the same. But since these are essentially training corps the educational experience and time commitment works well for older member participants. 

From what I’ve read it doesn’t appear that the interest is very high to attend their Championships.

Don’t believe that either DCI or WGI will want to be dictated to by an organization that see’s themselves in a different light than they. Who wouldn’t find that attitude to be unacceptable. 

I was told in private message that some corps from the UK is coming to the States in 2020 to perform in DCI shows and at DCI in Indy, but won’t be going to a single DCA show. Why do you think they would do that since they’re an all age organization? My guess is that they get more for their money by doing a DCI schedule, not to mention a larger viewing audience. 

Yes foreign corps have competed at both DCI and DCA over the years. Most recently for DCA it was Kidsgrove and Heartliner. 

I have yet to see where DCA would dictate over DCI or WGI so no idea where that comes from. 

And mistaken idea that DCA corps are mainly/only training corps for DCI. Some younger members used DCA as a stepping stone to a DCI and some don’t. Think you’re seeing a youth vs older dynamic that is just not there.

And to judge by other comments are you saying that since DCA isn’t as big or successful as DCI should the DCA corps just go away? This should NOT be a DCA vs DCI thing as there is a lot of overlap between the circuits. And if one fails it will affect the other in a bad way.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

Just for thought the DCI yearbook 2019 list the following All Age corps that have some relationship with DCI:  Atlanta CV, Carolina Gold, Chops, Cincinnati Tradition, Columbus saints, Crusaders senior, Govenaires, Muchachos, North Star, Southern Knights and Sunrisers.     Only one is a Northeastern DCA corps and several are I believe alumni type corps

3 alumni that I notice... Boston Crusaders Sr, Manchester Muchachos and North Star

37 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

A lot of the posters here are discussing DCA 20 years ago, it is very different today, and very different for corps that are more than 200 miles from PA than for corps within 200 miles of Philly.    Most DCA Corps encourage or require their members to avoid this site because of the trolling and because todays corps have little in common with the hard partying DCA corps of 30 years ago.

Where is the partying being discussed? If I’m included in that 20 years ago comment it’s more like 40 and I bring up what I’m familiar with. I know it’s a lot different and was hoping people more in tune with today would help inform us. Shame members are avoiding because of a few posters, especially since the ignore function works so well

Edited by JimF-LowBari

53 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

This should NOT be a DCA vs DCI thing as there is a lot of overlap between the circuits. And if one fails it will affect the other in a bad way.

A viable solution is for this circuit to become a part of DCI as an all age circuit whereas these groups can perform and be scored in DCI scheduled shows throughout the season within these organizations geographic regions. Which from what others have stated actually exist now.

If these groups have a all age show only it would still be promoted by DCI since that is for the most part what DCI is a show promoter. Maybe DCI all age groups are still managed by the current DCA staff yet under DCI. 

A DCI all age Championship if needed would take place in Indy, but I have no idea what the logistics would look like since there are a lot of events currently going on already. Perhaps a all inclusive performance by those all age groups declaring a winner within whatever categories they currently have in place. Where and when is what needs to be decided. 

This would allow for all corps regardless of Class to begin and end their seasons at the same time. Also would be of value with recruiting for all age groups too.. 

Mind you that this is all speculation. I’m going back to the World Class forum now. I’m exhausted and out of suggestions. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I was told in private message that some corps from the UK is coming to the States in 2020 to perform in DCI shows and at DCI in Indy, but won’t be going to a single DCA show. Why do you think they would do that since they’re an all age organization? My guess is that they get more for their money by doing a DCI schedule, not to mention a larger viewing audience. 

That is the Kidsgrove Scouts.

They came to the DCA championship several times, from 2010 through 2017. Next year they are going the DCI route, as you have stated.

Terrific corps... the DCI fans should enjoy them!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

My point is that there’s no need for an all age circuit. Local brass bands are available for older people to play and both SoundSport and WGI allow for older participants, both provide competition.

To me it appears this DCA organization is trying to emulate that which already exist (DCI) just to accommodate a small percentage of people over the age of 22, and attempt to do so with little or no operating capital and very few staff. 

SoundSport (in its current form) is an unfocused sideshow. WGI Winds is a much better plan B, but in its super-early stages (14-19 independent groups at prelims between 2016-2019).

I don't think having a summer circuit(s) that caters to affordable, community-based, all-age groups is an unachievable thing. Whether or not DCA is that circuit is definitely debatable, though.

Edited by ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That is the Kidsgrove Scouts.

They came to the DCA championship several times, from 2010 through 2017. Next year they are going the DCI route, as you have stated.

Terrific corps... the DCI fans should enjoy them!!!

Jaw dropping the year I saw them live... something to do with Egypt show with lot of body movement to accent the show 

and nice folks to talk to Friday night at I&E

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Jaw dropping the year I saw them live... something to do with Egypt show with lot of body movement to accent the show 

and nice folks to talk to Friday night at I&E

And even better folks to hang with well into the wee hours after finals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, coloradocorp said:

Not surprised, but Alumni corps most likely sell tickets to the Prelims and Finals.  I have four long time friends who are passing up Finals week after 14 years without missing one weekend - and the Alumni event was a factor in going every year.  Fewer corps and a standstill indoors just does not do it for some.  Hopefully DCA has a great weekend anyway.

many alumni performers don't even go to prelims or finals. they get there, rehearse, party/sleep, perform, go home. I stopped the alumni show in 12 because after a while...and no slight to Cabs Alumni as this isn't aimed at them despite the words used...it was ####, #### ####, same old ####, #### ####

• Like 2