Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Remove me from that list thank you. Wanted to understand why this circuit exist at all when there are other available options. Besides a thousand or more people nationwide and those very few who post, doesn’t appear to me to be much of a following. 

DCA was actually here first, and DCI leaders of the day in 71 used DCA as a model of some of the things they wanted to do. At that time, both circuits were of equal popularity and importance.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

many alumni performers don't even go to prelims or finals. they get there, rehearse, party/sleep, perform, go home. I stopped the alumni show in 12 because after a while...and no slight to Cabs Alumni as this isn't aimed at them despite the words used...it was ####, #### ####, same old ####, #### ####

I stopped going in Annapolis, too. 

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

My point is that there’s no need for an all age circuit. Local brass bands are available for older people to play and both SoundSport and WGI allow for older participants, both provide competition.

To me it appears this DCA organization is trying to emulate that which already exist (DCI) just to accommodate a small percentage of people over the age of 22, and attempt to do so with little or no operating capital and very few staff. 

there's a need, but the management of the circuit currently is well....it makes DCI look stellar.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I have yet to see where DCA would dictate over DCI or WGI so no idea where that comes from.

The idea comes from Terri's post. I'm sure she's accurately reporting what she heard.

What's unclear is how that would work: what leverage DCA would have over DCI to prevent that much larger organization from talking to DCA members about jumping ship?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, coloradocorp said:

Not surprised, but Alumni corps most likely sell tickets to the Prelims and Finals.  I have four long time friends who are passing up Finals week after 14 years without missing one weekend - and the Alumni event was a factor in going every year.  Fewer corps and a standstill indoors just does not do it for some.  Hopefully DCA has a great weekend anyway.

The alumni corps themselves mostly don't attend Prelims, I think, because their members spend that day arriving and/or rehearsing.

And I know a good number of them leave after the Sunday morning alumni corps show, prior to Finals that evening.

But surely they add some numbers to the total.

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I was told in private message that some corps from the UK is coming to the States in 2020 to perform in DCI shows and at DCI in Indy, but won’t be going to a single DCA show. Why do you think they would do that since they’re an all age organization? My guess is that they get more for their money by doing a DCI schedule, not to mention a larger viewing audience. 

You're talking about the Kidsgrove Scouts, right? They've been to DCA four times over the past 15 years. Why shouldn't they try something different next time?

Many different all-age groups have participated in DCI and/or DCA through the years. A British group came to DCA just last year.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Funny part is DCA/Sr corps have been around longer than DCI/Jr corps so don’t fall in the mistaken idea that older folks wanted to copy the younger ones by creating DCA.

And no idea why this is a over/under 22 issue. You have people both under and over 22 who want to do drum corps in weekend warrior mode for various reasons. I marched Sr corps while in HS and college and see wide age range in corps today. 

And since I know little about SS or WGI I’ll ask. Are they the same full field drum corps experience as a corps competing in DCI or DCA? Plenty of brass bands and town bands within 50 miles of me and ... eh.. it ain’t drum corps, even if just doing a parade of standstill

age is no matter....many kids under the age of 22 can't do DCI for a plethora of reasons...school, work, $$, you name it. DCA is an aleternative, and many kids used DCA as a stepping stone to DCI. However not as many kids are coming back to DCA from DCI.

WGI Winds independent groups aren't exactly all over the country yet, so in the NE, finding a group without having to go to Ohio is a challenge

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

My point is that there’s no need for an all age circuit. Local brass bands are available for older people to play and both SoundSport and WGI allow for older participants, both provide competition.

To me it appears this DCA organization is trying to emulate that which already exist (DCI) just to accommodate a small percentage of people over the age of 22, and attempt to do so with little or no operating capital and very few staff. 

Au contraire: DCI was founded seven years after DCA and on pretty much the same principles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The idea comes from Terri's post. I'm sure she's accurately reporting what she heard.

What's unclear is how that would work: what leverage DCA would have over DCI to prevent that much larger organization from talking to DCA members about jumping ship?

I didn’t read it as DCA corps dictating to DCI but that was my take without knowing details. I don’t have a need to know anyway. 

And that security phrase is on my mind as reported a security “oh crap” this morning. Did my skulking for books at Goodwill Outlet last night and found a booklet describing overseas security work between the govt and a contractor. Never should have left the building let alone in Goodwill bin. Security guys quote was “and they don’t believe us when we talk about #### like this in training”

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That is the Kidsgrove Scouts.

They came to the DCA championship several times, from 2010 through 2017. Next year they are going the DCI route, as you have stated.

Terrific corps... the DCI fans should enjoy them!!!

Like The Company two years ago, they'll probably miss Semifinals, but I would love it if they proved me wrong. They certainly have a mark to aim for.

• Like 1