Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

However not as many kids are coming back to DCA from DCI.

I can believe that if for no other reason they’re probably done with college and need to start real life.... and yeah leaving corps at 22 was my story

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

age is no matter....many kids under the age of 22 can't do DCI for a plethora of reasons...school, work, $$, you name it. DCA is an aleternative, and many kids used DCA as a stepping stone to DCI. 

Share with me and help me understand this statement. Kids don’t have the money but use this circuit as a stepping stone to DCI. They actually have the money or not? 

3 hours ago, totaleefree said:

A lot of the posters here are discussing DCA 20 years ago, it is very different today, and very different for corps that are more than 200 miles from PA than for corps within 200 miles of Philly.    Most DCA Corps encourage or require their members to avoid this site because of the trolling and because todays corps have little in common with the hard partying DCA corps of 30 years ago.

most of the problem posts that used to be here disappeared, either by admin actions or some of those posters no longer participating or with us in 1/2 cases. Too many people got butt hurt when posters didnt gush effusively about their corps or show, or called corps out for massive overhype.

That and some corps are afraid of anything remotely critical being posted and replied to, because, gasp, the criticism could be valid

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Absolutely not the same. But since these are essentially training corps the educational experience and time commitment works well for older member participants. 

From what I’ve read it doesn’t appear that the interest is very high to attend their Championships.

Don’t believe that either DCI or WGI will want to be dictated to by an organization that see’s themselves in a different light than they. Who wouldn’t find that attitude to be unacceptable. 

I was told in private message that some corps from the UK is coming to the States in 2020 to perform in DCI shows and at DCI in Indy, but won’t be going to a single DCA show. Why do you think they would do that since they’re an all age organization? My guess is that they get more for their money by doing a DCI schedule, not to mention a larger viewing audience. 

$$ and exposure

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yes foreign corps have competed at both DCI and DCA over the years. Most recently for DCA it was Kidsgrove and Heartliner. 

I have yet to see where DCA would dictate over DCI or WGI so no idea where that comes from. 

And mistaken idea that DCA corps are mainly/only training corps for DCI. Some younger members used DCA as a stepping stone to a DCI and some don’t. Think you’re seeing a youth vs older dynamic that is just not there.

And to judge by other comments are you saying that since DCA isn’t as big or successful as DCI should the DCA corps just go away? This should NOT be a DCA vs DCI thing as there is a lot of overlap between the circuits. And if one fails it will affect the other in a bad way.

if DCA became a part of DCI, they'd have about as much say in their future as Open Class has, which is, well, little.

2 hours ago, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

SoundSport (in its current form) is an unfocused sideshow. WGI Winds is a much better plan B, but in its super-early stages (14-19 independent groups at prelims between 2016-2019).

I don't think having a summer circuit(s) that caters to affordable, community-based, all-age groups is an unachievable thing. Whether or not DCA is that circuit is definitely debatable, though.

I didn't even realize that SoundSport had actual scores until yesterday when I came across the results from Indianapolis.

As for your second point: I think your use of the possible plural for "circuit(s)" is key to what the non-northeast corps have been struggling with. Maybe MBI, Chops, CT, others need to form a new "Drum Corps Central" circuit for all-age groups outside of the northeast. But getting off the ground would be challenging.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Where is the partying being discussed? If I’m included in that 20 years ago comment it’s more like 40 and I bring up what I’m familiar with. I know it’s a lot different and was hoping people more in tune with today would help inform us. Shame members are avoiding because of a few posters, especially since the ignore function works so well

in todays environment, partying is very low on a DCA corps priority list, and in fact i am pretty sure every corps has strict policies about such behavior.

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA was actually here first, and DCI leaders of the day in 71 used DCA as a model of some of the things they wanted to do. At that time, both circuits were of equal popularity and importance.

Understood DCI formed in 1972 that’s obvious and so is the fact that junior corps have been around since 1935.